backup of Vista Ultimate 64-bit fails randomly RRS feed

• Question

• I have been having backups fail on my Vista Ultimate 64-bit machine randomly. I have deleted the failed backups through cleanup. The event log shows a link to ms which says:

Results for: Microsoft Product: Windows Operating System; Version: 6.0.2030.0; Event ID: 262; Event Source: HomeServer; File Name: whslogmsg.dll;

This has happened twice in the last three or four days.

I have PP1 installed along with later updates.

The details of the failed backups mention that an unknown network error occured and something about a cache. I didn't copy that info before I deleted the backups. The event logs only show the information I copied and pasted above.
    Monday, June 1, 2009 12:48 AM

All replies

• I have been having backups fail on my Vista Ultimate 64-bit machine randomly. I have deleted the failed backups through cleanup. The event log shows a link to ms which says:

Results for: Microsoft Product: Windows Operating System; Version: 6.0.2030.0; Event ID: 262; Event Source: HomeServer; File Name: whslogmsg.dll;

This has happened twice in the last three or four days.

I have PP1 installed along with later updates.

The details of the failed backups mention that an unknown network error occured and something about a cache. I didn't copy that info before I deleted the backups. The event logs only show the information I copied and pasted above.

Have you tried running chkdsk /r on each hard drive on your client?
    Monday, June 1, 2009 12:57 AM
  • PP1 ?  yes, chkdsk
    Grey
    Monday, June 1, 2009 1:28 AM
  • I haven't tried that yet. As I have to be at work at 5:30 am tomorrow, I don't have time tonight.
    I did send the logs to MS. The cab #'s are: 644553435 and 644554475. I have also discovered an issue with the toolkit's connector troubleshooter. It tells me that the versions don't match. I have uninstalled the toolkits from the client and server and downloaded and installed the latest version (1.1) from MS. I had 1.1 installed before. The only change I can think of about the time this issue started is installing IE 8. I may try to uninstall it later and see if that changes anything.
    Monday, June 1, 2009 1:34 AM
  • I haven't tried that yet. As I have to be at work at 5:30 am tomorrow, I don't have time tonight.
    I did send the logs to MS. The cab #'s are: 644553435 and 644554475. I have also discovered an issue with the toolkit's connector troubleshooter. It tells me that the versions don't match.

That's a known issue.  You can ignore it.

I have uninstalled the toolkits from the client and server and downloaded and installed the latest version (1.1) from MS. I had 1.1 installed before.

That is the latest version.

The only change I can think of about the time this issue started is installing IE 8. I may try to uninstall it later and see if that changes anything.

One of the add-ins (Admin Console if I remember correctly) doesn't work once IE8 is installed.  But I wouldn't think that would have any affect on your backups.  Do you have other clients?  If so, are those backing up successfully?
    Monday, June 1, 2009 2:35 AM
    I did send the logs to MS. The cab #'s are: 644553435 and 644554475. I have also discovered an issue with the toolkit's connector troubleshooter. It tells me that the versions don't match. I have uninstalled the toolkits from the client and server and downloaded and installed the latest version (1.1) from MS. I had 1.1 installed before. The only change I can think of about the time this issue started is installing IE 8. I may try to uninstall it later and see if that changes anything.

Hi,

You need to file a bug in addition to sending the logs. Sending the logs without a bug only places them on the server without a point of reference. The Watson server holds CABs for all operating systems and not just Windows Home Server. Also, if we only have CAB numbers without steps to reproduce, we do not know where to start looking in the log files.

Thank you
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Monday, June 1, 2009 3:07 PM