Long Client Nightly Backup Times >> than 6 hours RRS feed

• Question

• WHS has the latest updates. A client with 30GB of data took 6 hrs to complete the backup which use to take 20 minutes. This never happened before. Client HD  has been defragged. 

I reinstalled  the Intel nic driver on WHS using Intel's server 2003 driver download. The NIC is a Intel pro1000/ GT desktop nic. No improvements in backup times.

On the WHS console, I also did  the backup cleanup and repair.

Do I need to defrag my WHS  HD ?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Thursday, June 17, 2010 12:30 PM

All replies

• Did you do the client HD defrag before or after the lenghty backup?
    --
    Thursday, June 17, 2010 1:57 PM
  • No, I did not do a client defrag.  I usually do one every week and usually the frag about 10 %.

I will do a defrag, try a manual back and check the amount of time it took.

Thursday, June 17, 2010 3:20 PM
  • I did a defrag on PC#1 and the manual backup times still took a long time. I did notice from another machine PC#2 (W7)on the network that the share folders took a long time to appear. On the WHS machine, I tried to download a file from web and I noticed the download speed was unusually slow. So I told myself that this is a probable WHS network issue.

My clients and WHS reside on 10.59.11.X subnet(intel NIC) and the WIFI reside on the 10.59.12.X subnet. The WHS machine has a dynamic DHCP IP address and has has a second static IP NIC(Nvidia NIC) at 10.59.12.X to admin the WIFI access point. To isolate the issues, I switched cables to the NICs and reconfigured the static IP NIC  again. Nothing happened, same slow internet connections- download speed. I did not even attempt a manual backup on PC#1. I switched back again to the original configuration and now the download internet speeds were fine. PC#1 manual backup took approx. 12 minutes which is great. I did it again and this time it took 7 minutes.

Looking at the WHS console's PC#1 backup history from several days ago. I did  one log that said the backup was well over 1 hr.

Question, what happened? Even PC#2 access to the shared folders are faster. I need mess with network trying to configure a router.

I do have one remaining problem. PC#2 no longer prints and the WHS LPT1 printer never received anything. Nothing is in the print queue. WHS can print from itself.

I am confused.

Thanks, Patrick

Friday, June 18, 2010 12:59 PM
  • It sounds like you may have an unsupported network configuration, with two separate subnets (and two routers). What's your subnet mask on your PCs?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, June 18, 2010 2:29 PM
  • ALL PC & WHS  are on 10.59.11.X and the WHS  for wfi admin is on 10.59.12.X

DSL Modem
    |
    |
    router (LINUX IPCOP) -2 ported NIC : LAN and WLAN
    LAN(10.59.11.50)DHCP enabled(10.59.11.200-210)
    |              WLAN (10.59.12.50)
    DHCP enabled(10.59.12.200-210)
    |              |
    |              |
    |              AP ASUS (10.59.12.53) works fine!
    |              |
    |              |

PCs and WHS 

Saturday, June 19, 2010 12:10 AM