off topic - Save Target As RRS feed

• General discussion

• I am hoping that someone can help me with a long-standing issue concerning downloading videos from the web.  I have Windows Vista Home Premium installed on the computer.

When I try to download a video from a web page by right clicking the mouse and selecting "Save Target As," there are times when the "Save As Type" that appears below the file name is "Video Clip" and there are times when the "Save As Type" that appears below the file name is "HTML Document" and "All Other Files."  When the computer recognizes the video that I am trying to download as a "Video Clip," I am successfull when I try to download said video.  However, when the computer does not, for some unknown reason(s), recognize that I am trying to download a video and "HTML Document" and "All Other Files" appears as the "Save As Type," I am unable to download said video.

Can someone please explain to me in layman's terms why this happens and what, if anything, can I do to try to rectify this situation by having the computer recognize when I am trying to download a web-based video such that "Video Clip" always appears as the "Save As Type" and therefore, allowing me to successfully download those web-based videos that I choose?

Thank you. 

Thursday, October 9, 2008 4:50 PM

All replies

• You're off topic for this forum, which is dedicated to Windows Live OneCare. You may want to try the Microsoft Public newsgroups here: http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx

However, the answer is that the files that come back as an HTML file instead of a video are "hidden" from you in that the video cannot be directly downloaded. The item you are right clicking points to another web page and not to the actual video directly, so it can't be downloaded via a right click. Clicking the item navigates to the other address, which will then display/play the item represented by the linked item that you are trying to right click.

-steve

Thursday, October 9, 2008 5:29 PM
  • Steve:

Thank you for your reply.  I do have one question, though.  Does your answer mean that I will NEVER be able to download a video that appears as an HTML Document/All Other Files when I right click and try to Save Target As even when I navigate to the other address.  If so, why do certain companies that post videos to their web pages that require further navigation to another address allow the user to watch the video but not download said video?

Thank you for your help, Steve

Thursday, October 9, 2008 5:46 PM
  • The answer depends on what happens when you get to the next page after clicking the initial link. Companies prevent the local saves for many reasons - copyright is one of them.

-steve

Friday, October 10, 2008 6:46 PM