"- cannott determine whether this copy of Windows Vista is genuine." RRS feed

• Question

• I have also been having the same problems with Vista validation.  I have genuine Vista Home Premium which I purchased from Best Buy in the USA in Feb.  Since then I have moved back to the UK and have had no problems with validation  and downloading updates until trying to download the latest DirectX 9c. I thought a virus had corrupted some of my windows files but this was not the case.  I then thought that perhaps my system had corrupted a file and so did a fresh upgrade install using the original disk.  I still get a message that my copy is not genuine when I know it is.  As a result I cannot re-activate my re-installed product using my product key because it says my activation period has run out.  And can only get to my files in safe mode.  I have spoken to the tech guys in PC World who say that it could have happened because I activated my product in the USA and have now moved to the UK. It may appear to the genuine advantage tool that my package had been installed on a second PC, which it hasn't, and the problem arose well before I tried to solve it by re-installing my Vista.  I see that Phil Liu is trying to solve the problem.  I hope that he can do it in way which will allow me to re-activate my re-installed Vista!  To do this I suspect I will need a new product key.

Steve
    Saturday, August 25, 2007 6:03 PM

Answers