Wish list for next update of Windows Mobile, ActiveSync and WMDC RRS feed

• Question

• Request Microsoft to consider the following points in the next upgrade/update of Windows Mobile, Active Sync and WMDC

1.  Enhance the sync software to be as reliable and as fast as Palm Desktop and Hotsync that is packaged with Palm Treo, Palm V, and whether on Windows XP, Vista or other future OS.

a) easy for novice users:
    - should not hang so often.
    - should not cause loss of data so easily.
    - if conflict of data or duplicate prompt for input, and can recover without causing software to hang.
    -  easy installation software with good diagnostics during installation and reliable way to backout and clean up failed installations.

b) good diagnostic messages with easy reference on Microsoft web-site and helpful pointers.

c) simplify software for faster synchronisation, e.g. do away with bells and whistle that impede the speed of sychronisation.

2.  Enhance the software so that the categories of notes/memo items on the PDA will sync with the categories of the items on the desktop. Consider including feature such as password-protection of contact or notes items in the desktop.

3.  Thanks to Microsoft there is a wide range fantastic features on Windows Mobile, including those packaged into PDAs by manufacturer.   Hope that in the strive to add on such good features, the basic features of the traditional organiser are retained, features like calender, appointment, alarm, world clock, contact list, memo/notes (in plain text) with secret features.

4.  Bundle desktop data software (like Palm Desktop for Palm PDA) with Windows Mobile. If software on PC has to be purchased as add-on, provide convenient way for users to purchase the add-on software at affordable cost and with support from Microsoft.  E.g. sell a suite/collection of useful software in CD (even DVD) format on the retail market or sell several models of Windows Mobile with different packages of software/utilities.

Most of the above features listed in 1), 2) and 3) have been available for years on Palm V, Palm Treo software for years, even the rudimentary and humble Casio PV-200 digital diary.  Asking only for what has worked well and available in the past and for many years.

Hope that Microsoft will consider and work on the above suggestions.
    Saturday, September 26, 2009 3:38 PM

Answers

• Great feedback TBCSG. I know the diagnostics has been a significant focus for some key team-members and your additional excellent suggestions are much appreciated. I'm marking this as answered just for tracking purposes since the team has reviewed all your suggestions. This thread still remains open for viewing and posting should there be additional comments or updates.
    Thank you from the Microsoft Windows Mobile Team
    http://www.WindowsMobile.com/TotalAccess
    • Marked as answer by MaryAliceC Wednesday, September 30, 2009 10:47 PM
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 10:46 PM

All replies

• Great feedback TBCSG. I know the diagnostics has been a significant focus for some key team-members and your additional excellent suggestions are much appreciated. I'm marking this as answered just for tracking purposes since the team has reviewed all your suggestions. This thread still remains open for viewing and posting should there be additional comments or updates.
    Thank you from the Microsoft Windows Mobile Team
    http://www.WindowsMobile.com/TotalAccess
    • Marked as answer by MaryAliceC Wednesday, September 30, 2009 10:47 PM
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 10:46 PM
  • I don't think the stability is all Microsofts fault though.

I've had mixed successes with different devices. Some being extremely unstable, others being slow and some gems working as you'd hope.

Samsung Omnia's are very stable.
    Any HTC device is unstable as ____.

HTC however should get a great thank you from Microsoft for making so many wonderfull devices based on Windows Mobile, that now there is a real market for it.
    Before, a PDA or WinMo phone were niche gadgets only used by Professionals and uber geeks.

HTC brought Windows Mobile to the mainstream.

Imho HTC is also at fault for giving WinMo a worse name then it should have. Eventhough HTC makes great looking interfaces for Windows Mobile (Manilla is simply great), they don't include the needed drivers in the roms, causing most HTC phones to have uber powerfull hardware yet run like cowdung and all HTC phones are rediculously unstable.

Microsoft should also thank XDA-Developers and other sites like it for making altered roms that are faster and more stable then the originals, so that at least the gadget geeks and pro's know that Windows Mobile has a lot of potential.

Microsoft has admitted that XDA is something they can't live with but even more, can't live without.

Lets hope that MS can get trough to HTC so that they do some serious QT before releasing devices in the future.

I'm still absolutely baffled why HTC refuses to put the correct drivers in their roms for their hardware though.
    The licensing cost from Qualcomm or ATI can't be THAT high considering HTC has been using the same platform for their phones (MSM720X, 710X) for over 2 years now, in at least 10 different phones spanning several million sets sold.

Heck, I even think it would be wise for Microsoft to license the drivers themselves and give them to HTC if that'll help make HTC's more stable and as fast as they can be.

• Edited by TheMaTrIx Thursday, October 8, 2009 12:09 PM Added some stuff
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 12:05 PM
  • Thank you MaryAliceC.  Am glad to learn that the feedback has received attention by MS Windows Mobile Team.  My sincere thanks to the team for taking time to review all my suggestions.

By the way,  I am wondering whether Microsoft has already started to roll out better diagnostic messages.  Just a while ago, I notice a diagnostic message screen pops up on Activesync when I did not fully connect my PDA (Windows phone) to the PC.   I am quite sure users will be interested in the news on such roll-outs from Microsoft.   Not asking for reply or information at this time if it is not ready.  Hope it is available in due course.

If categorising notes items is too much of a implementation hassle, may be good to consider other ways to provide easy access/retrieval of notes items (and even OneNote information for unified retrieval access). Example: alphabet indexing on right side of screen - like for accessing contact information.   Yet another feature to consider - search function (like for contacts or like iPhone) to look for text phrase in notes items or title - this will be good for the users who may not like to categorise their notes items/information.
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 3:37 PM