none
Home server USB backup currupt file RRS feed

• Question

• I have a OneTouch USB drive connected to the sever and have the server set to use it as a "Server Backup Hard Drive".  The problem I am having is after a backup when I log on to the Home Server Console it shows curupt files on the USB drive.  Which in itself is annoying but requries I click OK a dozen or more times, once for each file.  Which I guess means my backup at best is partial.

The message suggests I run a check disk which I did but on the next backup shows the same error, each time more files.

Does anyone have any suggestion on how to resolve this?

I have auto update set and it shows no outstanding updates so I should have the latest version.

Thanks in advance,
    John

John J. Hughes II
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 11:08 AM

Answers

• Thanks for the reponse...  Not sure what changed but the backup yesterday was fine.  Maybe WHS fixed it or one of the updates helped or maybe I just picked a good day.  Will continue to keep an eye on it.
    John J. Hughes II
    Friday, April 17, 2009 12:30 PM

All replies

• Is chkdsk reporting errors on that drive when you run it? If it is, the drive is faulty and should be replaced.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 11:14 AM
  • No it did not report anything, also it is a brand new drive ( I know does not matter ).  The first backup was fine, second backup had on currupt file, third about 20?, and so on.
    John J. Hughes II
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 11:16 AM
  • Are you using the WHS shares backup or the OneTouch backup mechanism? Could be the OneTouch software is not really compatible with WHS.
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 12:27 PM
  • I have the onetouch added as a network share device and am having WHS do the backup.  Basically I go to the hom server console, computers & backup, and right click on "your home server" and select "backup now"

I did not install any of the onetouch software.

John J. Hughes II
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 12:56 PM
  • In that case I would advise you to file a bug report. Instructions at the bottom of this page.
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 1:12 PM
  • No it did not report anything, also it is a brand new drive ( I know does not matter ).  The first backup was fine, second backup had on currupt file, third about 20?, and so on.
    Frankly I still think it's a problem with the drive. It could be a hardware issue, or it could be a driver issue, if the drive doesn't use standard USB mass storage drivers. But I think it's more likely to be a hardware issue. In any case, submitting a bug on Connect is probably your best bet at the moment.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 2:35 PM
  • Thanks for the reponse...  Not sure what changed but the backup yesterday was fine.  Maybe WHS fixed it or one of the updates helped or maybe I just picked a good day.  Will continue to keep an eye on it.
    John J. Hughes II
    Friday, April 17, 2009 12:30 PM