Object reference not set to an instance of an object RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Please except my ignorance but I know practically nothing about CRM but have been tasked with trying to figure out some issues our users are having with it.

The error message they are getting is below:

Error Message

Exception generated at: 20/02/2013 10:12:05
    Error Type: System.NullReferenceException
    Error Message: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    Error Stack Trace: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
       at Microsoft.Crm.Application.SMWrappers.NotificationBar..ctor(NotificationBarContainer barContainer)
       at Microsoft.Crm.Application.SMWrappers.SqmOptInNotificationBar..ctor(NotificationBarContainer barContainer)
       at Microsoft.Crm.Application.SMWrappers.NotificationBar.CreateNotificationBar(Guid type, NotificationBarContainer barContainer, NotificationBarInfo notificationBarInfo)
       at Microsoft.Crm.Application.SMWrappers.NotificationBarContainer.DoAddNotificationBar(Guid type, NotificationBar newBar, Boolean updateUI)
       at Microsoft.Crm.Application.SMWrappers.NotificationBarContainer.AddNotificationBar(Guid type, NotificationBar newBar, Boolean updateUI)
       at Microsoft.Crm.Application.SMWrappers.NotificationBarContainer.AddNotificationBar(Guid type)
       at Microsoft.Crm.Application.SMWrappers.ActiveXLocalPageFrame.CheckForMessages()
       at Microsoft.Crm.Application.SMWrappers.ActiveXLocalPageFrame.Init()
       at Microsoft.Crm.Application.SMWrappers.ActiveXUserControl.CreateHandle()

Stack Frame:

at OutlookUtility.HandleExceptionInternal(Exception exception, Boolean showMessageBox, IWin32Window messageBoxOwner, String errorMessage)
     at OutlookUtility.HandleException(Exception exception, IWin32Window messageBoxOwner)
     at ActiveXUserControl.CreateHandle()
     at Control.get_Handle()
     at ActiveXImpl.InPlaceActivate(Int32 verb)
     at ActiveXImpl.DoVerb(Int32 iVerb, IntPtr lpmsg, IOleClientSite pActiveSite, Int32 lindex, IntPtr hwndParent, COMRECT lprcPosRect)
     at Control.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IOleObject.DoVerb(Int32 iVerb, IntPtr lpmsg, IOleClientSite pActiveSite, Int32 lindex, IntPtr hwndParent, COMRECT lprcPosRect)

This happens when every anything CRM related is clicked within Outlook 2003.  I suspect its an issue between the server and the client configuration and its trying to look for something that doesn't excsit in the location its looking but like I say I really have no experience of this product.

I've been searching around but I cannot find anything with the exact same error.

If anyone could provide some assistance that would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards

• Edited by ByDesign1977 Wednesday, February 20, 2013 10:14 AM Added more detail
    Wednesday, February 20, 2013 10:03 AM

Answers

• After doing some more tests (manual install from the exe's) I have found that this was caused by the way the application had been packaged internally.  This is getting redone to rectify the issue.

Thanks.

• Marked as answer by ByDesign1977 Monday, February 25, 2013 2:22 PM
    Monday, February 25, 2013 2:21 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Could you please check the eventviewer and see the errors that are getting?

If you find this post helpful then please "Vote as Helpful" and "Mark As Answer". Thanks and Regards, Yogesh Vijay Mulay

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 1:06 PM
  • Will do.  I'm just having the machine rebuilt so I can start again with a clean slate.  Once done I will recreate the error and post the info from the event logs.

Thanks.

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 1:25 PM
  • After doing some more tests (manual install from the exe's) I have found that this was caused by the way the application had been packaged internally.  This is getting redone to rectify the issue.

Thanks.

• Marked as answer by ByDesign1977 Monday, February 25, 2013 2:22 PM
    Monday, February 25, 2013 2:21 PM