Remove a specific PC from the list of Computers RRS feed

• Question

• I reformatted and reinstalled a client machine this weekend due to software issues that were ongoing before WHS was installed and setup.  I used the same computer name and workgroup name, as before, and when I installed the WHS client software it successfully joined the server and configured backups. 

Now, in the Server Console, I have two listings for this same machine. One is available, and the other of course isn't. 

There doesn't seem to be a way to remove a non-existant PC from the list of joined computers, unless I'm thoroughly missing it.

I did find the Registry keys that I believe are where the information for the list of PC's is maintained on the server, but there's no way to be sure that I would be removing the right one.

On the server, the list of clients is maintained, I believe, at:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Transport\Clients

Thanks,
    Doug

Sunday, February 25, 2007 11:10 PM

All replies

• Ok, looking more closely, I see what happened.  The PC in question was originally connected wirelessly.  I had brought it into my office and plugged it directly into a switch when I did the reinstall. It was using the wired NIC when I installed the connector software, so the server thinks its a different PC.   Using the MAC address in the client sub-keys above, I can find the right registry key to delete.

Watch out for this when you change Ethernet adapters!

Sunday, February 25, 2007 11:13 PM