Possible to Restore or Edit -In A Deleted Payee Account? RRS feed

  • Question

  • A long time ago, I changed money market funds and completely deleted the original fund. This left blank spaces where the payee should be, but kept the arithmetic transactions in place. Is there anyway I can restore this old fund to fill in the blank payee  spaces? I regret having done this and would like to get the payee name back in the ledger entries for historical accuracy. Is there a way I can manually enter it or do some kind of global replace.


    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 11:08 PM

All replies

  • Payee and Investment are two different things. In an Investment Transaction with a specified Payee, you see one thing in Payee (e.g., "Fidelity Investments") and do not see the fund name (e.g., Fidelity Contrafund) on the Payee line but see it in the transaction Investment form or in the details. If you did not set a Payee, you will see nothing in the Payee line. (All assume full transaction view. Ctrl+T to change.) 

    Deleting a fund should have "deleted" an Investment. Investments are never really deleted in Money. If an Investment is what we are talking here, you MAY achieve what you are hoping to achieve by bringing the Investment back from the dead. IIRC, and I haven't done this in a long time, I'd try this by entering a Buy transaction using THE EXACT SAME NAME or SYMBOL (generally easier since you don't have to remember exactly what you called it) as you used before.

    Wednesday, February 1, 2012 2:38 AM
  • As Dick said, a normal Buy or Sell of a money market fund is done as an investment Buy or Sell, and not as a cash transaction. In deleting an Investment, the name of the investment is not blanked out in Money Plus.

    If you delete a Payee, previous transactions using that Payee are not affected, so that doesn't quite match your description either. Maybe you downloaded transactions that had no Payee filled in.

    What you can do for a cash transaction is to use Tools->FindAndReplace->Advanced. If the Memo field has a consistent word or phrase, then this becomes easier. Use the Text tab to specify the text that the relevant Memos each have. You can specify the Payee field to be blank under the Payee tab by clicking ClearAll, and then ticking the box for IncludeTransactionsWithNoPayee. Check the other tabs too to limit matches.  After you select your criteria for the transactions to be changed, click Next and then Replace. If you want to Replace the Payee of all of the transactions found to match, there is a radio button for that. Otherwise tick the box of those you want replaced. At the top, select Payee from the drop-down list, and enter the new Payee into the With box. Click Next. You may get a warning. That's OK.

    You would want to work with a copy of your file to experiment with, until you have FindAndReplace figured out. At least have a backup file that you could use to undo things you don't like.

    Friday, February 3, 2012 9:56 PM
  • Thanks

    I transferred the assets of one fund to a new one, in the same family of funds. I then deleted the original fund. I hope there is a way to get it back. I will follow your suggestions.

    Saturday, February 4, 2012 1:05 PM
  • To undelete your fund, determine the symbol of the fund.  In an
    investment account (could be a watch account), in the Invesment
    field, enter the symbol, and press the <tab> key.  Ideally the name
    of the investment will then replace the symbol in the field.  From
    the drop-down Activity list select Dividend or other transaction.
    Expect Money to give you a warning.  Accept the warning.  That will
    undelete the investment.  Then Delete the fake transaction.

    If you had no such symbol, you will have a harder time.

    Saturday, February 4, 2012 5:21 PM