WHS 2011 Print server problems RRS feed

• Question

• I have set up a machine with WHS 2011 RTM and connected two USB printers to it. It seems like no one can print to those printers unless the administrators account is active on the server. Whenever anybody tries to print they get a "printer offline". If you navigate to the server and click on the icon it asks for your user name and password, if you supply this then the printer comes online and starts printing the job. I have the connector installed on all machines and set to launch at startup. Is there a setting to automatically logon as well? I thought that was automatic when you set up the connector. Sometimes you cannot even connect to the printer (right click and connect) it says the printer is not available. My name is MUD around the house since both worked flawlessly on WHS v1!!

All the machines (5) are various flavors of win 7 from home premium to ultimate (most are x64). the printers are a Brother laser with a network, USB and wireless connection (using the USB since there is only one network drop in the "server room") the other is a Canon Pixma Pro 9500 MKII that is only used by one user who works in Lightroom and Photoshop. The Brother had a Windows 7 x64 driver disc and the Canon is using a server 2008 driver. the clients all have the right driver installed on them for thier respective OS

PGordini
    Thursday, May 12, 2011 5:54 PM

Answers

• It seems that to me that your users are not logged on at all - presumably they cannot "see" any network shared folders? If so then possibly all that is needed is for them to make sure the 'Remember me on this computer' and the 'Remember my password' boxes are checked on the Sign In box the first time they  log on. Next time round the process should follow automatically.

I use a Canon Pixma via a USB port and find that even the auto power-on power-off facility works a treat; a bonus I hardly expected!

Good luck!

• Marked as answer by PGordini Friday, May 13, 2011 12:46 AM
    Thursday, May 12, 2011 10:58 PM

All replies

• It seems that to me that your users are not logged on at all - presumably they cannot "see" any network shared folders? If so then possibly all that is needed is for them to make sure the 'Remember me on this computer' and the 'Remember my password' boxes are checked on the Sign In box the first time they  log on. Next time round the process should follow automatically.

I use a Canon Pixma via a USB port and find that even the auto power-on power-off facility works a treat; a bonus I hardly expected!

Good luck!

• Marked as answer by PGordini Friday, May 13, 2011 12:46 AM
    Thursday, May 12, 2011 10:58 PM
  • DUH, Thanks.

BTW what driver did you use for the Pixma?

PGordini
    Friday, May 13, 2011 12:47 AM
  • ip5200vst64200ej; which I got from the Canon USA site

So, you can see I have an iP5200 and used the Vista 64 offering.

David

Friday, May 13, 2011 9:21 AM