Unable to find server for PC restore RRS feed

• Question

• I am hoping that someone can help out here. I have been trying to upgrade my hard drive to a faster unit, so I installed the new drive, inserted my PC restore CD from WHS and everything goes allright until it tries to find my home server. I looked at the drivers for my NIC card and they appear to be correct and when I reinstall my old hard drive, it picks everything up great.

The laptop I am using is a HP TX-2500z and I am trying to restore from a HP Mediasmart. I have done this before with another PC and it worked great, but this one cannot find my server. The server is actually hooked to the same router on the same network. I am kind of at a loss at to what else to try, any suggestions would be appreciated..
    Thursday, August 21, 2008 2:29 AM

Answers

• Easy thing to try:
    disconnect your router from the modem.
    Try to run the restore again.  If it finds the server, leave the modem line disconnected until the restore is completed.
    Please post back with results.
    Question:  what's the LAN name of your server?

Thursday, August 21, 2008 4:14 AM
  • Are you using a wireless connection with that laptop? Wireless restores are unsupported, and if you have security enabled on your wireless network a restore will never work, because the Restore CD isn't able to authenticate.
    Thursday, August 21, 2008 4:16 AM

All replies

• Easy thing to try:
    disconnect your router from the modem.
    Try to run the restore again.  If it finds the server, leave the modem line disconnected until the restore is completed.
    Please post back with results.
    Question:  what's the LAN name of your server?

Thursday, August 21, 2008 4:14 AM
  • Are you using a wireless connection with that laptop? Wireless restores are unsupported, and if you have security enabled on your wireless network a restore will never work, because the Restore CD isn't able to authenticate.
    Thursday, August 21, 2008 4:16 AM
  • See related artices on Windows Home Server Restore CD Wizard at http://forums.community.microsoft.com/en-US/whssoftware/thread/ebb9af1e-fbf0-4f84-95c9-80d2407e9e92.
    Monday, September 8, 2008 8:40 PM