Onecare and restoring system settings RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I know you can install Onecare on up to three computers and I currently have it installed on two.  If i were to restore my system settings and have to reinstall Onecare on one of my computers would this then count as the 'third' computer?

If so is there any way around this?

Thanks for your time

Monday, December 8, 2008 6:23 PM

Answers

• Hekko only18, reinstalling One Care does not count as an additional computer.

Monday, December 8, 2008 6:28 PM

All replies

• Hekko only18, reinstalling One Care does not count as an additional computer.

Monday, December 8, 2008 6:28 PM
  • Thanks very much... I will get on it now! Smile

Monday, December 8, 2008 6:37 PM
  • Hi again,

I have just done a system restore and I'm still having the same problem as beofre, which is in a nutshell:

My internet connection was randomly cutting out after installing OneCare so to try and cure this I reinstalled my Belkin wireless adapter but this only caused me to get no access to the internet at all!  Belkin recognises there is a signal and I can 'connect' to the internet after it prompts me to enter a password which let's say is bloggs_joe.  At this point it says I have 'Limited or No Connectivity' and therefore cannot access the internet.

When I click on the repair button it goes through the process and tells me that the IP address cannot be renewed, which was what was happening before.

I have just entered the password back to front joe_bloggs and it says I am connected even though the password I have entered is wrong.

This leads me to believe the password I am entering is incorrect but I do not know what password I need to enter or where I will be able to find this out.

Could someboday please help becuase this is really frustrating me now! 

Thanks very much,

Monday, December 8, 2008 7:45 PM
  • It sounds like your wireless connection is secured. You need to access your router using a wired connection, sign in per Belkin's instructions and obtain the WPA or WEP security "key" and enter that in your network settings on the wireless adapter. Alternatively, reset your wireless router to factory defaults, again per the Belkin instructions, and connect via an unsecured connection. Then follow the Belkin instructions to secure the connection.

-steve

Monday, December 8, 2008 8:20 PM
  • Thanks for your response.  The problem is really don't know much about computers and don't really know how to do what you've explained.  Would you be able to put it in Layman's terms for me?

Your help is much appreciated.

Monday, December 8, 2008 8:34 PM
  • If the information I've already provided to you is unclear, I'm not sure that I can do any better, but I'll give it a shot.

When your wireless connection is asking for a "password" to connect, that would mean that it wants to have the security key for your connection. That security key is configured on the Belkin router. If you use the wrong key, you can't connect.

Your Belkin router probably has places to connect up to 4 computers using a wired connection. Plug your laptop into a wired connection on the router and see if you can connect to the Internet. If so, then your wireless connection needs to be properly configured following the system restore that you performed.

To configure the wireless connection, you need to locate the instructions for your router. In those instructions the steps to follow to change the security settings of the router will be explained. Basically, it means logging into an administration screen of the router while connected to the router with a wire. You will make the changes and write down what you have configured for the SSID and security key. You then disconnect the wire and let your wireless connection try to connect to the Internet. You will be prompted for the security key. Enter is exactly as you wrote it down and you should now have a connection.

Alternatively, there is probably a reset button on the router. Typically, you hold that button in for several seconds with a paper clip or pencil tip until the router reboots and restores the factory settings - which are unsecured. When the laptop tries to make a wireless connection, your connection will be unsecured and unencrypted. Once you have made the connection and confirm that it works, you should configure the connection to be secure - the steps would be the ones in the above paragraph.

If you are unable to perform those steps, contact Belkin support for help in setting up the router, your connection, and security.

-steve

Tuesday, December 9, 2008 1:14 PM