What happens to the data on the WHS when the trial expires? RRS feed

• Question

• Will I be able to get all my files off the server?  Is there a "grace" period or does it simply shut down?  Any information on how this works will be helpful as I likely won't be home before it expires and doubt I'll have time to buy & install the full version when I do get back...

Thanks!
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 2:06 PM

Answers

• You will find your data from whatever folder in either one or two of the DE folders under Shares (two, if duplication is on). WHS decides where to put the data and will try to keep data together (as long as there is enough disk space free on a physical drive).
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Saturday, May 16, 2009 11:57 PM
    • Marked as answer by Puulima Sunday, May 17, 2009 10:25 PM
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 7:53 PM

All replies

• Yes, you will be able to pull of your data, and you don't need WHS running to do so. You can simply mount the disks in another PC, the shares folder containing your data is found in a hidden folder DE in the root of the drives (or in the root of the second partition of the disk for the WHS system disk). Please note you will have to enable "view hidden files and folders"  in windows explorer
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 6:19 PM
  • I've seen the DE hidden folder from the WHS desktop (My COmputer) on the "D:" drive...

I have 2 external 1TB eSATA drives and 2 internal drives...one being a 250GB drive (used for the SYSTEM drive) and a 650GB second internal drive.

So I'm assuming the DE folder is replicated on each of the 3 non-system drives then?  But there might be different files on each drive potentially?
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 7:06 PM
  • You will find your data from whatever folder in either one or two of the DE folders under Shares (two, if duplication is on). WHS decides where to put the data and will try to keep data together (as long as there is enough disk space free on a physical drive).
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Saturday, May 16, 2009 11:57 PM
    • Marked as answer by Puulima Sunday, May 17, 2009 10:25 PM
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 7:53 PM