Issue Restoring PC RRS feed

• Question

• Ok... Weird problem here.    I am running Windows 7 RC x64 on a workstation.  Backing up to WHS with the connector software, with no errors during the backups.  Also, I am able open, view and restore files from the backup, so I think the backup is ok.

I decided to TEST a backup, by restoring it.  I have installed 'Windows Virual PC' on the Winows 7 RC system, created a VM with two VHDs to restore the backup to.  I'm using the 7/2008 Restore CD (I think its the latest).

I'm able to boot the CD, find the WHS, type the password, select the backup to restore, map the source to destination volumes, and the restore appears to start.... but after about 5 minutes, my HOST system (NOT the VM) looses its network connection, which of course causes the restore to fail. Having Windows 7 diagnos the issue, it returns connectivity after reseting the NIC.

Now I understand I would have an issue booting the restored system with the same computer name on my network, but I would think the the restore should complete. 

Does anyone have any thoughts?   I have tried both available NIC settings for the VM (Shared (NAT) and Intel (the virual NIC))  When I loose the network connection, on the HOST system, from CMD on the host, I can ping my HOSTs IP, but nothing else.

I realize there is a lot of Beta/RC software involved here... but am hoping to determine if I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks,
    Doug
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 8:30 PM

Answers

• Probably you have flaky network drivers somewhere. The drivers for Virtual PC are pretty solid, but the ones for your host computer are whatever the manufacturer supplied, most likely. If your server is home-built it may have less than stable drivers as well...
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 9:21 PM