Unable to launch WHS2011 Dashboard from Win10 v1803 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I have to restore my data from the WHS2011 backup. In WHS I can see that the last full backup was taken 7 days ago. 

Unfortunately I have to start the restore from a client. I have now several Win10 clients, which report the same error: No connection possible. Ensure the following: 1) ensure network connectivity 2) server is running an connected to the network.

Well, I have contact with the WHS and I can enter the WHS with the password I use for the launchpad via RDP.

My Setup:

WHS: WinServer 6.1 Build 7601 SP1, all updates installed. KB2934953 installed in Jan 2016. I am wondering why KB2781272 isn't shown. Was this replaced by the KB2934953?

Win10: Win10 Home 64bit, v1803 Build 17134.137 all updates per June 25 installed.

Is there a log, where I can look for more specific errors?

Is the ability to connect to WHS from Win10 in any way connected to Corana or any other Win10 Gimmick? I used O&O shupup to restrict Win10 from calling home. I am just wondering if this might be the issue.

I also tried to re-install the connector on a Win10 v1703 which had the same issue. The uninstall was successful, but the installation failed with an unspecific error. Unfortunately that is the PC I have to restore now.

Thank you very much in advance.

Marc

Tuesday, June 26, 2018 9:29 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I got it sorted out:

The LanManWorkstation Service is required for the WHS Launchpad. It didn't start because of missing dependencies.

I performed all steps in https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2696547/how-to-detect-enable-and-disable-smbv1-smbv2-and-smbv3-in-windows-and for Server AND client. Then restarted the WHS server.

I also performed the following commands:

start cmd as administrator

sc config LanmanWorkstation start=auto
    sc start LanmanWorkstation
    sc qc LanmanWorkstation
    sc query Bowser
    sc query MRxSmb20
    sc query NSI

The results should be "success" or "service running".

After that I was able to launch the dashboard from any client. Also installation works again :)

Thanks for your support,

Marc

• Marked as answer by MarcRower Wednesday, July 11, 2018 9:47 PM
    Wednesday, July 11, 2018 9:47 PM

All replies

• Hi,

UEFI hotfix 2781272 for Windows Home Server 2011 is pre-requirement for installing KB2934953, and KB2934953 does not replace a previously released update.

You can check “Client backup fails on a computer that is connected to a Windows-based server that has a UEFI hotfix installed” for detail description about KB2934953:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2934953/client-backup-fails-on-a-computer-that-is-connected-to-a-windows-based

On client, we can check log file which is stored on C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Server\Logs. Such as Launchpad.log, DashboardClient.log.

Blog Key Small Business Server 2011 Essentials Log Files can be considered as reference:
    https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/sbs/2012/05/02/key-small-business-server-2011-essentials-log-files/

If possible, it is recommended to re-start Windows 10 in Clean Boot with all 3rd party process disable, and try again to check the result.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, June 27, 2018 2:23 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 2, 2018 2:15 AM
  • Hi Eve,

Thanks for catching up.

Lets number my issues to avoid confusion.

1) KB2781272: The update is not shown in the list of installed updates. However, as KB2934953 is in the list it must be there. It's just a bit weired that it is not listed.

2) Quote: Client backup fails on a computer that is connected to a Windows-based server that has a UEFI hotfix installed:

This is not my issue. I have PCs with connector installed which are able to create backups successfully.

3) Quote: If possible, it is recommended to re-start Windows 10 in Clean Boot with all 3rd party process disable, and try again to check the result.
    I didn't try that yet, because I don't want to mess with my running machines.

I tried the following:

3a) Win10 Home 64bit v1803 installation in a VM ware, installation of the connector software: Result: Installation failed. Please entsure it is connected and the password is correct.

3b) Win10 Home 64bit v1709 installation in a VM ware, installation of the connector Software: Result: Same as in 3a)

3c) Creation of a restore USB Stick for use with a new device. Result: RestoreCDInit.exe reports the following error: "Unknown software exception" (0x0000025) in the application on position 0x00960229

3d) Try to connect the Launchpad from Win10 Home 64bit v1803 and check the logs:

Launchpad.log:

[5044] 180703.231833.8372: ProviderFramework: Information: [0] : AsyncConnector: Connection failed: (EndpointNotFoundException) Es war kein an net.tcp://mediaserver:6602/Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.wssg_user_identity/Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Users.IUserIdentityProvider lauschender Endpunkt vorhanden, der die Nachricht annehmen konnte. Dies wird häufig durch eine fehlerhafte Adresse oder SOAP-Aktion verursacht. Weitere Details finden Sie unter "InnerException", sofern vorhanden.

[8520] 180703.231838.8567: ProviderFramework: Information: [0] : AsyncConnector: Connection failed: (EndpointNotFoundException) Es war kein an net.tcp://mediaserver:6602/Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.wssg_user_identity/Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Users.IUserIdentityProvider lauschender Endpunkt vorhanden, der die Nachricht annehmen konnte. Dies wird häufig durch eine fehlerhafte Adresse oder SOAP-Aktion verursacht. Weitere Details finden Sie unter "InnerException", sofern vorhanden.

I checked on the WHS the services:

IdentitySvc

AddInInfrastructureSvc

ServerBackupSvc

and LanmanWorkstation were not running. I could start the first three services, but with  LanmanWorkstation I have now a new issue:(

3e) I cant start the Service "LanmanWorkstation" C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe -k NetworkService. I get an error 1068: Service dependencies could not be stated.

My biggest problem is that I need to restore the data from WHS2011 Backup, but I have no client to start the restore. But WHS2011 requires the initiation of a restore from a client PC.

Thanks,

Marc

Tuesday, July 3, 2018 9:35 PM
  • Hi,

I got it sorted out:

The LanManWorkstation Service is required for the WHS Launchpad. It didn't start because of missing dependencies.

I performed all steps in https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2696547/how-to-detect-enable-and-disable-smbv1-smbv2-and-smbv3-in-windows-and for Server AND client. Then restarted the WHS server.

I also performed the following commands:

start cmd as administrator

sc config LanmanWorkstation start=auto
    sc start LanmanWorkstation
    sc qc LanmanWorkstation
    sc query Bowser
    sc query MRxSmb20
    sc query NSI

The results should be "success" or "service running".

After that I was able to launch the dashboard from any client. Also installation works again :)

Thanks for your support,

Marc

• Marked as answer by MarcRower Wednesday, July 11, 2018 9:47 PM
    Wednesday, July 11, 2018 9:47 PM