Connector update fails to install PP3 RRS feed

• Question

• Trying to install the update to the conenctor software on a Windows 7 x64 laptop (Build 7100) is giving the following error when trying to run the upgrade:
    "This operation cannot be completed at this time.  Please try again later. If the problem persists, please contact Product Support."

The server is a Acer H340 EasyStore.  The \\server\Software\Home Connector Software shere is there, I'm not sure why it's not working.. 

Removing PP3 for now until I can find a way to install without trashing my backups.
    Friday, July 17, 2009 8:05 PM

Answers

• Figured out the issue.

Somehow, the IIS user lost rights to the Connector software folder, so the webserver was giving a 401 (forbidden).

Fixed, and the connector is now installed.
    Friday, July 17, 2009 8:29 PM

All replies

• Figured out the issue.

Somehow, the IIS user lost rights to the Connector software folder, so the webserver was giving a 401 (forbidden).

Friday, July 17, 2009 8:29 PM
  • Did you try uninstalling and reinstalling the connector software?

I know for me it just automaticaly upgraded the connector, though this was also on a 32-bit Vista.  I'll be using my 64-bit 7 when I get home tonight...
    Friday, July 17, 2009 8:30 PM
  • Silent,

See the reply to myself above.  It was a IIS issue.  I think the SP should re-create the security information for the folder so this doesn't happen in the future.

I believe I moved the folder to another location, which moved the security with it.  Since the security was no longer setup, IIS could not deliver the updated software like it should of been able to.  When  you upgrade the connector software, it uses IIS to deliver it to the Currently installed connector.  The current connector, then takes that software and installs it.  If the IIS security is bad, the software will never download correctly to the old connector.

Friday, July 17, 2009 9:17 PM
  • Figured out the issue.

You might want to file a bug report for that on Connect.
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 1:17 AM
  • please elaborate in detail with your proposed fix instructions. I'm having a problem installing the client connectors on multiple vista x64 machines post PP3 update. About ready to throw in the towel.
    Sunday, July 19, 2009 3:59 AM
  • Sorry,

Connect to your home server with Remote Desktop as Administrator

Go to d:\Shares\Software with explorer and right click on "Home Server Connector" and select "Properties"

Click on the security tab, and add the following user "IUSR_SERVER" and give the user read access

Press Ok, and  you should be able to get around the issue.
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 2:37 PM