user accounts, passwords and logging in...what is the easiest way? RRS feed

• Question

• I have never played around with user accounts on my pcs, it just seemed like too much hassle and needless effort.  I just wanted a pc that booted up into the desktop and didn't need babysitting such as choosing a user and inputting a password.

I just got WHS, primarily for moving pictures and videos onto shared folders on the server.  What I want to do is have things remain the same as previously, in other words I want to boot up my computer(s) without needing to select a user and without having to enter a password and also have my WHS shared folders available for use when bootup is finished.

If I understand correctly that is not possible in WHS.  It seems like I have two options:

1.  create a user account password on my computer that matches a user account and password on WHS.  Then on bootup I have to choose the user account and enter the password but after that the WHS shared folders are available for use.

2.  leave my computers as they are now with no user account password.  Then on bootup the WHS shared folders will ask for a user account and password before they are accessible.

Is my understanding correct or is there a way to accomplish what I want without messing with any user account names and passwords?
    Saturday, August 8, 2009 8:32 PM

Answers

• Option 1, but, set-up automatic login:

Vista clients: type netplwiz in search/run box

XP clients: type userpasswords2 in run box

It will be transparent to the user.
    • Marked as answer by Kent Clark Saturday, August 8, 2009 9:44 PM
    • Edited by working1 Saturday, August 8, 2009 9:53 PM typo: netplwix should be netplwiz
    Saturday, August 8, 2009 9:01 PM

All replies

• Option 1, but, set-up automatic login:

Vista clients: type netplwiz in search/run box

XP clients: type userpasswords2 in run box

It will be transparent to the user.
    • Marked as answer by Kent Clark Saturday, August 8, 2009 9:44 PM
    • Edited by working1 Saturday, August 8, 2009 9:53 PM typo: netplwix should be netplwiz
    Saturday, August 8, 2009 9:01 PM
  • working1, perfect.  It works just how I want it to now.

One small correction, the vista client command is netplwiz
    Saturday, August 8, 2009 9:45 PM