listbox -vs- checkboxes implementation? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello - I have a custom entity. For each instance of the entity, the user should have the option of selecting a specific set of workflows he wants to associate with the entity. I can get a UI working for this, but I'm trying to think of the best backend design and UI implementation.

Since there will be a 1-to-1 relationship between the custom entity and w/f type, I could simply add the workflow options as fields on the entity.  Then, I could add checkboxes to the form for w/f selection for the entity. I think CRM would support this implementation ootb pretty easily.

However, from a general UI design perspective, it would be more appropriate to group these w/f options together in a multi-select listbox, since the data options are related. So what are my options for displaying these options in a listbox?  From a CRM perspective, is it going to be impractical to implement this solution as a listbox instead of checkboxes?

Friday, August 30, 2013 9:07 PM

All replies

• Hi,

As I think you have already guessed, CRM does not support a multi-select list box as a form control. If you really need a form control as the input, then checkboxes are going to be the best option.

Other options:

1. Create a HTML webresource that provides a multi-select list box (standard HTML) and then uses the window.parent.Xrm.Page object model to get set the checkboxes that are hidden on the form.

2. Use a N:N relationship to a workflow type entity that allows the user to add relationships to to define which workflow to run - the dialog to add the N:N relationships does allow multiple selection from the lookup view. 

hth,

Scott

Scott Durow
    Blog www.develop1.net    Follow Me
    Rockstar365
    If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on the post and "Mark as Helpful"

Saturday, August 31, 2013 8:48 PM
    Answerer