Usage of IIS RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm wondering how OCS incorporates IIS.  What parts or components of OCS use IIS, and how does it affect, if at all, any other processes I currently have running in IIS.  Basically I'm looking for any information everyone has regarding IIS with OCS because I have been unsuccessful using search engines to find this information.

Thank you.

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 7:06 PM

Answers

• Communicator Web Access (CWA) and Web Conferencing are the 2 pieces that use IIS.  CWA is an IM web client and the web conferencing piece uses URLs for meeting addresses and other items related to web conferencing.  CWA needs to run on a separate server and can use it's own website.  It's very common to place this on an IIS server that is hosting other web sites.  The web conferencing piece should either remain on the OCS server (as in a Standard Edition deployment) or get it's own dedicated server (for example, if you have an Enterprise Edition deployment and your capacity requirements dictate a dedicated web conferencing server).

Z

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 8:20 PM

All replies

• Communicator Web Access (CWA) and Web Conferencing are the 2 pieces that use IIS.  CWA is an IM web client and the web conferencing piece uses URLs for meeting addresses and other items related to web conferencing.  CWA needs to run on a separate server and can use it's own website.  It's very common to place this on an IIS server that is hosting other web sites.  The web conferencing piece should either remain on the OCS server (as in a Standard Edition deployment) or get it's own dedicated server (for example, if you have an Enterprise Edition deployment and your capacity requirements dictate a dedicated web conferencing server).

Z

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 8:20 PM
  • Thank you for your reply.  It was exactly what I was looking for.
    Wednesday, May 30, 2007 12:20 PM
  • I think IIS has to be on the web components piece, rather than on web conferencing (only makes a difference in the expanded config).

Friday, August 8, 2008 6:25 PM
  • Good catch on my year old post.  Smile  You're right though, while web conferencing relies on the web components, technically it does not require IIS.

Friday, August 8, 2008 8:33 PM