ISettingsTab: getting and saving settings? RRS feed

• Question

• The SDK walks you through creating a settings tab, but it gives no detail on how to get/save settings (the SDK explicitly says the tutorial doesn't cover this - what's the point of a settings tutorial if you're only learning how to display the tab?).

I've played around with reflector and done some experimentation, but I'm still not getting it. A few questions:

1) The SDK talks about using commit() to return true when you've saved data to "backend objects." Is there some WHS API for this, or are we talking about app.config/.ini file or something similar?

2) How can I get the GUID of the current tab? I can opensettings(GUID), if I already know the appropriate value. There's the SettingsGuid property on the tab, but I can't figure out the name of the object that has the property to get it. Not a big deal, but it'd be nice to know.

3) How do I retrieve settings (such as which columns are active in a listview, for example) from the settings tab? Or is that done by accessing the "backend object" directly?

It feels like I'm missing something really obvious here.

Monday, January 14, 2008 10:02 AM

Answers

• Hi!

As far as I know, the WHS API doesn't provide a way to store your settings, you have to do that on your own...

However, there is a way to create an application directory (stored in D:\folders\<GUID>, with duplication if wanted) where you can save your data to.

Regards, Alex

Monday, January 14, 2008 10:20 AM
  • Information about application folders is in the SDK.
    Tuesday, January 15, 2008 4:20 AM

All replies

• Hi!

As far as I know, the WHS API doesn't provide a way to store your settings, you have to do that on your own...

However, there is a way to create an application directory (stored in D:\folders\<GUID>, with duplication if wanted) where you can save your data to.

Regards, Alex

Monday, January 14, 2008 10:20 AM
  • Ah, so I was over-thinking the functionality. Do you have any more info on creating the application directory?

Monday, January 14, 2008 6:09 PM
  • Information about application folders is in the SDK.
    Tuesday, January 15, 2008 4:20 AM
  • Thanks Ken. Mea culpa for not RTFM Smile

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 4:31 AM