Data Analysis Views RRS feed

• Question

• PS 2007

Our Project Server is shared across multiple business units.  I've been asked to make the Data Analysis section available to lower level managers within a specific business unit.  The end goal is to provide some reports to managers.  I want to make sure my response is accurate before I actually respond to the request.  :)

I can make this available to these users, but from within a Data Analysis view, I cannot restrict someone from seeing data across business units.  They'll have access to any data in the cube.  I can create a filtered view for them, but there would be nothing stopping them from removing or modifying the filters.  This is why these views are restricted primarily to executives.  I believe, however, we can meet your needs with static reports that we can create outside of a Data Analysis view.

Monday, October 4, 2010 10:51 PM

Answers

• In 2010, this would be a perfect use case for multiple OLAP databases with Departmental filtering.  Essentially, you create an OLAP database that would only contain data for that department.  So, each BU would also have to be set up as a department.

For 2007, you are correct, you will have to do some sort of filtering outside of Data Analysis views.  Also, since Data Analysis views are deprecated, I wouldn't recommend developing lots of solutions around them if possible.

Andrew, I wouldn't depend on ODCs for any type of security.  They are XML files which can easily be edited.  Since Excel caches a copy within the file format, it's easy to disconnect the Excel file from the ODC and hack the internal version.  Therefore, your security has to be implemented at the data level, which can be done in OLAP using Departmental filtering.

Treb Gatte - Twitter: @tgatte  Blog: http://reportmode.com

• Marked as answer by Kevin Slane Tuesday, October 5, 2010 12:50 PM
    Tuesday, October 5, 2010 3:39 AM
  • Hi Kevin,

not sure if I should explain, since you are looking for reasons for upgrade to 2010?

You need to deactivate "Filter" in protection tab on totals fields. This is data which is filtered by your filter. Users will see what values are selected and unselected.
    However, it only does work if you use your field as filter. It does not work, if you deselect any values on columns or rows field. Users will not be prevented from changing this selection.

By the way: don't deselect the last option (Commands and Options) on protection tab. You can't undo after saving and will need to re-create the view.

Regards
    Barbara

• Marked as answer by Kevin Slane Tuesday, October 5, 2010 2:28 PM
    Tuesday, October 5, 2010 2:12 PM

All replies

• You are correct. 

You might be able to create a filtered data connection in Excel, and then a PivotTable from that.  That would be the solution in 2010, and it would work the same in 2007.

I am still getting my head around the security implications of the ODC file, but that should work.

Try it out by opening Excel, hitting Data Connections, and pointing directly to your OLAP cube in Analysis Services.

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Twitter: @alavinsky Blog: http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/epm
    Tuesday, October 5, 2010 12:57 AM
  • In 2010, this would be a perfect use case for multiple OLAP databases with Departmental filtering.  Essentially, you create an OLAP database that would only contain data for that department.  So, each BU would also have to be set up as a department.

For 2007, you are correct, you will have to do some sort of filtering outside of Data Analysis views.  Also, since Data Analysis views are deprecated, I wouldn't recommend developing lots of solutions around them if possible.

Andrew, I wouldn't depend on ODCs for any type of security.  They are XML files which can easily be edited.  Since Excel caches a copy within the file format, it's easy to disconnect the Excel file from the ODC and hack the internal version.  Therefore, your security has to be implemented at the data level, which can be done in OLAP using Departmental filtering.

Treb Gatte - Twitter: @tgatte  Blog: http://reportmode.com

• Marked as answer by Kevin Slane Tuesday, October 5, 2010 12:50 PM
    Tuesday, October 5, 2010 3:39 AM
  • Hi Kevin,

you can prevent users from changing your filter. Right click in your View Definition - Commands and Options - Tab "Protection" - deselect "Filter". After saving they will not be able to change filter criteria in your view.

Unfortunately, if you allow to export to Excel, this protection will not work. So I always deactivate "Show Toolbar" in this case.

Does that help?
    Barbara

Tuesday, October 5, 2010 6:22 AM
  • Thanks Andrew.
    Tuesday, October 5, 2010 12:39 PM
  • Very interesting, Treb!  Thank you for that information.  Yet another reason for us to accelerate our migration to 2010.
    Tuesday, October 5, 2010 12:42 PM
  • Barbara,
    I like how this sounds.  However, when I tried it, I only saw the protection tab on totals fields.  I have an enterprise custom field for "Business Unit" which I was trying to use as a top-level filter.  When I go to the Commands and Options menu for that field, I don't have a protection tab, unfortunately.  So, I tried a couple of other fields, like Assignment Owner, and I didn't have a protection tab on those either.  Only the totals.
    Kevin
    Tuesday, October 5, 2010 12:46 PM
  • Hi Kevin,

not sure if I should explain, since you are looking for reasons for upgrade to 2010?

You need to deactivate "Filter" in protection tab on totals fields. This is data which is filtered by your filter. Users will see what values are selected and unselected.
    However, it only does work if you use your field as filter. It does not work, if you deselect any values on columns or rows field. Users will not be prevented from changing this selection.

By the way: don't deselect the last option (Commands and Options) on protection tab. You can't undo after saving and will need to re-create the view.

Regards
    Barbara

• Marked as answer by Kevin Slane Tuesday, October 5, 2010 2:28 PM
    Tuesday, October 5, 2010 2:12 PM
  • Ahhhh, I understand.  Ok, let me give that a try.

As much as I'd like to move forward with 2010, I'm always interested in learning more about what we have today, so I thank you!

Tuesday, October 5, 2010 2:19 PM
  • Nice!  That did it!!!  I see what you're saying about the users being able to see what data is selected and unselected, but I think that's going to be OK. 

Thanks so much!

• Edited by Kevin Slane Tuesday, October 5, 2010 2:28 PM Wanted to include more detail.
    Tuesday, October 5, 2010 2:26 PM