Version 2.0 Backup is useless! RRS feed

• Question

• I had the unfortunate task of uninstalling and reinstalling Live One Care today. (Live One Care "forgot" where my backup drive was and would not function. It just rebooted when I told it to backup!) As a result of the reinstall, I now have ver. 2.0 and the backup function is now absolutely useless to me! In previous versions, I could choose which folders to backup. 2.0 chooses which files to backup and my only choice is which folders not to backup! THIS IS ABSOLUTELY THE REVERSE OF HOW BACKUP SHOULD WORK! The backup also does not backup certain file types that it has decided I don't need to backup! I NEED ABSOLUTE CONTROL OVER THE BACKUP PROCESS. IT IS USELESS IF I CAN'T TELL THE SOFTWARE WHAT TO BACKUP AND BE SURE THE FOLDERS AND FILES I'VE SELECTED ARE BEING BACKED UP!

I will go back to manually backing up the folders I choose for now. We will not be renewing our One Care Subscription if this is not fixed AND if I can't depend on the functionality of the software staying the same during my subscription. In my opinion Microsoft has fundamentally changed the nature of the backup and made it useless. This is exactly like buying a car with a manual transmission and having the dealer "upgrade" the transmission to an automatic without my permission when it's in for routine maintenance!
    Tuesday, November 20, 2007 2:57 AM

Answers

• OK, now you've gotten that off your chest and had a few minutes cool off. So now can you stop and think and explain what it is that you actually can't back up?

In the other thread where you joined in with Scorth2 I've asked some questions. If you really want to determine whether it's possible for you to backup using WLOC 2.0 or not, please answer them and/or add your own explanation as Scortch2 has finally done. Wasting you energy ranting will get you and us no where, we need real information to try and help you.

WLOC 2.0 backup is different, but that doesn't necessarily make it unworkable. However, without clear descriptions of what exactly it can't do I'm quite certain it won't be changed.

OneCareBear

Tuesday, November 20, 2007 11:26 AM

All replies

• OK, now you've gotten that off your chest and had a few minutes cool off. So now can you stop and think and explain what it is that you actually can't back up?

In the other thread where you joined in with Scorth2 I've asked some questions. If you really want to determine whether it's possible for you to backup using WLOC 2.0 or not, please answer them and/or add your own explanation as Scortch2 has finally done. Wasting you energy ranting will get you and us no where, we need real information to try and help you.

WLOC 2.0 backup is different, but that doesn't necessarily make it unworkable. However, without clear descriptions of what exactly it can't do I'm quite certain it won't be changed.

OneCareBear

Tuesday, November 20, 2007 11:26 AM
  • OneCare,
    Thanks for your response. I need to be able to specify which directories that are to be backed up AND be assurred that every file in those directories will be backed up. I'll respond to your other reply in that thread.

Gracias,
    Chris
    Wednesday, November 21, 2007 12:59 AM