Copying CRM standard reports (CRM 2013) RRS feed

• Question

• I have been making good use of modifying the standard reports (SQL Server Reporting Services reports)- mainly for quotes, orders and invoices - to include missing items (such as due date on the invoice). The only problem is that every time there is a CRM update, the reports are overwritten, and I have to enter my changes again.

So it would be ideal for me if there was a simple way to copy a report (and sub-report), subsequently to add the (custom) report to the same form item - same place where I can select for instance an invoice report for the current record.

There is no direct way to copy a report in SQL Server Reporting Services - what I figure is the way, is to download the report as an RDL file, modify, and upload again (well, uploading directly via the SQL Server Reporting Services reports web interface to the sharedreports/6.0.xxxx from where I can modify and download, does not seem to be the way - rather I should create a new report in the CRM interface, and use "Existing file", and upload the RDL file, but here I am having trouble linking the sub report to the parent - and this ends up in my org folder of the SQL Server Reporting Services structure - right?)

Well, when I try the above, I end up with a report that is not correctly linked to the sub report, and where it only appears under "Run on all records", not "Run on current record". What am I doing wrong?

To me this seems like something a lot of people would like to do, but I have been unable to Google answers to this - and it does not follow intuitively from just experimenting. The method I am looking for would also allow you to use existing reports as templates for additional reports, not just ones to replace the built in ones (for instance a different order report for a customised order type I have made, called contracts/subscriptions - created via ordinary order form, just distinguished by selection field).

Anybody?

Martin Skau

Monday, April 27, 2015 8:51 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Martin,

you can only create a crm report from the crm. You have got that right. When you create a report from the CRM ui, it creates a unique guid. You have to find the guid of the sub report and use it inside your parent report. Please note that the guid change for each organisation.

regards

Jithesh

Monday, April 27, 2015 10:50 PM
  • and for run on current records option, please check the following link.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb955090

regards

Jithesh

• Marked as answer by MSkau Thursday, April 30, 2015 11:25 AM
    Monday, April 27, 2015 11:03 PM
  • OK, so I managed to get my sub report and parent report linked. At the moment, my custom report is and EXACT copy of the standard order report, and the accompanying sub-report, meaning the SQL etc is absolutely identical - also including the pre-filtering prefix. Also all the parameters on the report object in CRM:

But when I open an order, and try to run my custom report on the currently open order, only the standard report appears for the current record - my custom report appears under "Run for all records", which is NOT what I want...:

Running the report from here works fine, but it returns all the orders (for the company of the current order, so some context is transferred).

Martin Skau

• Edited by MSkau Wednesday, April 29, 2015 12:07 PM image correction
    Wednesday, April 29, 2015 12:03 PM
  • hi Martin,

have you looked at the msdn link that I provided. The context menu on record will appear only if the "4.In Display In field, select Forms for related record types" option is selected. I suspect that the option is not selected in your custom report.

regards,

Jithesh

Wednesday, April 29, 2015 11:04 PM
  • Hi Jithesh,

Yes, I checked the link. In combination with wanting to use a CRM standard report as template, it was not enough. Has nobody really wanted to do this before? Weird... Anyhow, I figured out how to do it, there's a little hacking involved. I wrote this guide:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gdI8KcPd1XW5Iqe6vwwl20v9aYco-gy4XbuITfiddSc/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks for your help - it led me in the right direction.

Martin

Martin Skau

Thursday, April 30, 2015 11:24 AM