"Backup service not running" error on new install RRS feed

• Question

•  I installed the software today. The server seemed to be working and I installed the connector software on one client. All appeared to be working. The network health was in the green. I realized that the install did not see one of my hard drives, so I installed the hard drive. All hard drives are showing healthy and operating properly since the install. However, now the network health is critical and I receive a "backup service not running" error. I tried to troubleshoot this problem. None of the solutions apply. I have tried to restart system numerous times. One of the solutions was to make sure all updates were run. I installed the updates and now the connector software won't even run because the update is not seeing the backup service so it won't even finish installing the connector software on the client. Solution 3 was to disconnect any disconnected hard drives to the server, this does not apply. Solution 4 was to remove hard disks with the hard disk removal wizard, this does not apply. Solution 5 is to repair unhealthy disk, this does not apply. Solution 6 is to reset the backup database, this does not apply since I have no previous backups. This is a new install. If I click on the repair option under database repair, it says please wait while it verifies and repairs this could take hours, but it just shuts down the whole console and does nothing. I can not find any solutions beyond what I mentioned anywhere online. Please help. I thought I finally had this up and running and now it is useless again. There are no backups or data on the server, as it is a new install.
    Thank you.
    Monday, November 3, 2008 2:54 AM

All replies

• Hello,
    please check the event log of your server for error messages.
    Faulty memory, damaged sectors on the harddisk or otherwise flaky hardware and drivers may cause the backup service crash.
    Please check, if some of the instructions in http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/dc2f3705-e6bf-4109-9711-26b413c2c4ce/ can help you to solve the issue.
    That no backup database exists without previously configured backups, is not necessary true, there can be as well an empty database, but it should exist, because otherwise the backup service would miss it (I assume).
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, November 3, 2008 8:02 AM
  • I am having similar issue's. Here is what I've done so far per the forum notes:

- New WHS install with Power Pack 1 installed plus all other updates. I have never been able to get a GREEN condition for network health. It has always been critical.
    - Ran chkdsk on the internal drives I have. Chkdsk came up clean.
    - Deleted the files in the folders noted by Olaf. Now I see some new error messages in the logs:
    "Unexpected error 0x48f from createfile on D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-ABS7-A7F909A47AB4} \comit.dat. The device is not connected."
    Also:
    "Client Backup server failed at d:\wssg_src\whs_pp1\ghs\src\backup\util\diskfile.cpp (145)"
    And:
    "Persistent Drive Letter Service failed. Starting service: No attempts to start the service have been made since last reboot"

Of intersting note is that I am also having WHS Connector issues and have not been able to successfully connect a client to the server. I think some of this may be related to DNS issues but I did note in the server logs that WHS has started IPSec..

Thanks!
    • Edited by rar4162 Monday, November 3, 2008 4:40 PM
    Monday, November 3, 2008 4:38 PM
  • Given that this is probably a brand new install, rar4162, you might want to try just doing a fresh installation and see if your problems go away.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, November 3, 2008 6:22 PM
  • Thanks Ken,

I was proceeding down that track anyhow with a simplier configuration. I had started with 2 internal SATA drives on the first install and started the new install with just a single drive.  This time new screens were present and it seemed the install process had several additional steps than the first install.  After the system was up and operational, I just added the second drive via WHS console and all was well. Added a third external USB drive for backups and everything was fine.

Maybe a good direction for any new installs - start simple - make sure all is ok- then add additional drives, systems, users, etc....
    Ray

Tuesday, November 4, 2008 2:56 AM
  • Ken
    Ok new install now has all systems connecting and talking fine. Current issue is I cannot get a backup to run (manual or automatic) from 2 different client systems (Vista Ultimate, Windows XP SP3).  I am getting what appears to be a common error "backup failed because your computer was unable to create volume snapshots. To resolve problem, try running chkdsk /f/r on each of your hard drives and restart".

I am thinking my problem has little to do with individual drives on client systems as 2 different systems, one with brand new drives, come up with the same error going against the same WHS server.  I've read some posts about Virtual Shadow Service on client systems but thought I would look for some guidance on most likely scenarios before moving forward.
    Thanks!
    Ray
    Thursday, November 6, 2008 5:12 AM
  • Hi Ray,
    this error is really client related.
    Did you try the chkdks /f /r on all disks of such a client PC already?
    Please try a manual backup and after that failed take a look into the clients event log. Usually there are some more errors and warnings around, which may point to the real issue causing the error.
    Olaf
    Thursday, November 6, 2008 7:09 AM
  • Thanks Olaf,
    After some further testing, here is what I have determined so far:
    - Backup works fine for the WHS server itself
    - Backup worked fine on a single SATA drive connected to my Vista Ultimate system
    - Backup failed on the RAID drive connected to the Vista Ultimate system. Now this is a Adaptec 1420sa hardware raid (more sw than hw) card that hosts my main media files. Its 2x250GB drives physically creating a logical 500MB volume.

So it appears that WHS backup is having some issues with this Adaptec RAID volume.

Ill do somemore testing including the chkdsk on the RAID volume.....
    Ray
    Friday, November 7, 2008 2:29 PM
  • Hi Ray,
    rar4162 said:

Thanks Olaf,
    After some further testing, here is what I have determined so far:
    - Backup failed on the RAID drive connected to the Vista Ultimate system. Now this is a Adaptec 1420sa hardware raid (more sw than hw) card that hosts my main media files. Its 2x250GB drives physically creating a logical 500MB volume.

So it appears that WHS backup is having some issues with this Adaptec RAID volume.

RAID itself should not be an issue, but drivers can be.
    So maybe chkdsk and a driver upgrade together could help to fix the behavior.

Does your RAID array have a drive letter assigned or is it mounted to a folder?

Olaf
    Friday, November 7, 2008 2:39 PM