WHS Conector problem RRS feed

• Question

• just installed windows home server, and am running windows 7 ultimate 64bit. everything started ok, i can see the home server on the network, i can access the folders, i can add/remove files in the folders, BUT i cannot get the conector software working, if i go to http://server:55000 and click the "download now" i get a "the device is not connected" message, if i try to install from the CD it finds the server, starts downloading, but stays at 0% until eventually saying the files were not downloaded from your home server please verify that your network connection is active and your home server is powered on (which they both are).

I have tried disabling firewalls (on router and pc) and the only software i have on the home server is avast home server edition.
    I have tried rebooting as well, noticing something that may be related (or a completely new set of problems), once logged in as administrator i get several error messages all saying that either Preserver has had to stop or Microsoft (r) Windows (r) operating system has had to stop, after clicking "dont send" or "send" to these (normally 3-6 of each message) it seems to work.
    Also am having the constant calculating space problem with my seccond hard drive (doesnt seem to be working) not a major problem yet as the first hdd is 1tb and plenty of space for now, but not sure if this problem is also related.

getting to the point where im wondering if it would be easier just to format and reinstall.
    thanks in advance for any help you can give.
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 4:26 PM

Answers

• Thanks karl, but i had tried that, unsuccessfully. Since then have done a complete new install of WHS without the 2nd hdd and everything worked, added the 2nd hdd after whs updated itself and everything still works ok. No idea how the problem came about, but at least its fixed for now.
    • Marked as answer by andybrown Tuesday, February 16, 2010 11:18 PM
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 11:18 PM

All replies

• From Win 7: Can you navigate to \\homeservername\software?

It will ask you to enter credentials.  \\homeservername\Administrator is what I use to access in time such as these.

If so then open Windows Home Server Connector folder (or something like that)  run setup.

Hope this helps.
    Karl
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 9:06 PM
  • Thanks karl, but i had tried that, unsuccessfully. Since then have done a complete new install of WHS without the 2nd hdd and everything worked, added the 2nd hdd after whs updated itself and everything still works ok. No idea how the problem came about, but at least its fixed for now.
    • Marked as answer by andybrown Tuesday, February 16, 2010 11:18 PM
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 11:18 PM
  • Just a thought from my past experience.  I recall once that I entered the password incorrectly and the account was locked out.  Just passing it along to check if it happens again.

Karl
    Karl
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 2:13 PM