hub pc? RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am new to this software.  I am the geek squad for my family.  Can they be part of my circle over the internet?
    Sunday, November 16, 2008 4:16 PM

Answers

• MarieWallace,

I've moved your post to the Multi-PC Management forum, since that's what you're asking about.

Yes you can include your family PCs in your circle as long as they were initially installed usiny your Windows Live ID. However, this will only allow monitoring of the status of their OneCare, since Backup and other functions can only occur over a local network (LAN).

Also, realize that in some cases you may receive occasional false triggers that indicate things like the firewall is turned off on a remote PC when it really isn't, though these are generally rare. The reason is that these status updates occur over the Internet to the OneCare servers on an hourly basis, so if a temporary glitch on the remote PC causes it to think the firewall is off, that may be reported to your PC before it clears resulting in a false reading for the next hour or so.

I have a PC running OneCare in a remote location, but I simply have my nephew watch for the OneCare icon to turn Red and then contact me if it stays that way. I don't need to see the status all the time, just be warned if it doesn't clear itself automatically. You'll need to decide whether you can trust them to alert you or if you need the constant monitoring.

OneCareBear

Sunday, November 16, 2008 6:41 PM

All replies

• MarieWallace,

I've moved your post to the Multi-PC Management forum, since that's what you're asking about.

Yes you can include your family PCs in your circle as long as they were initially installed usiny your Windows Live ID. However, this will only allow monitoring of the status of their OneCare, since Backup and other functions can only occur over a local network (LAN).

Also, realize that in some cases you may receive occasional false triggers that indicate things like the firewall is turned off on a remote PC when it really isn't, though these are generally rare. The reason is that these status updates occur over the Internet to the OneCare servers on an hourly basis, so if a temporary glitch on the remote PC causes it to think the firewall is off, that may be reported to your PC before it clears resulting in a false reading for the next hour or so.

I have a PC running OneCare in a remote location, but I simply have my nephew watch for the OneCare icon to turn Red and then contact me if it stays that way. I don't need to see the status all the time, just be warned if it doesn't clear itself automatically. You'll need to decide whether you can trust them to alert you or if you need the constant monitoring.

OneCareBear

Sunday, November 16, 2008 6:41 PM
  • My husban's computer was the original hub - and it fried. Now we need to make my system the hub, and it won't let us sign in to make the change. Can you help us?

Thanks!

Monday, November 17, 2008 1:35 AM
  • Ar you receiving an error when trying to make the PC a hub? Sometimes this is a temporary problem. Make sure that the PC is connected to the Internet when trying to perform this action and make sure that you are signing in with the subscription LiveID found in Help/About... within OneCare.

-steve

Monday, November 17, 2008 5:41 PM