Error "Backupservice is not running" RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Since yesterday I ha a serious problem with my WHS .. until that day it works very fine. I used it since the early beginning of WHS and had no problems at all.

The free diskspace of the server is running low, so I decided to replace one of the old 1 TB disks with a new 2 TB disk. There are 6 SATA disks attached and I replaced already 2 of the old disks by 2 TB disk in the past. So I did it two times before and it worked fine.

To do so i always:

1.) Remove the old disk with the WHS build in function from the server disk pool

2.) run down the server

3.) restart the server (without any hardware change) to look if it is still working

4.) if so, run it down again and do the hardware replacement of the disk

5.) restart the server, add the new disk to the pool and .. voila .. everything works ... in the past

This time at Point 3 of list I get an "Backup service is not working anymore .. "

So I study the online help, re-add the old disk to the server, (everything looks good), run down the server and restart .. same issue (Backup-Service is not running ..)

I study this forum and got the hint to check all disks with CHKDSK (I found that little batch-job and used it

"net stop pdl
    net stop whsbackup
    chkdsk D: /x /r 
    chkdsk C: /x /r
    for /d %%1 in (C:\fs\*) do start chkdsk /x /r %%1"

The check runs hole night and day (without any error-message as I saw) and after it was finished I restart the server .. no change (Backup service is ...) (BTW the old disk is still in the servers disk pool) 

All disks shown "green" status.

I can still access the server datapool from any workstation .. everythings works fine except the backup-service.

I tried the "repair backup database function". To do so I logged into he server (I use a KVM Switch) and start the console, switch to "Options", "backup" and tried the button "repair". "Yes" I know this is dangerous... it starts .. and after about 10 seconds the console vanished .. nothing left on the screen.. I tried the same from a workstation . same result .. after 10 seconds I got a "connection to server faild".

I hope anybody ca help me .. I don't want to reinstall the server...

Serverhardware:

ASUS M2N32-SLI de Luxe
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual
    RAM 2 GB

Disk 1 465 GB (Sys and DATA) (74 % used)
    Disk 2 1863 GB (69 % used)
    Disk 3 931 GB (0 % used, this is the one I wanted to replace)
    Disk 4 931 GB (88 % used)
    Disk 5 1863 GB (64 % used)
    Disk 5 931 GB (90 % used)

WHS reports:

Sum of diskspace: 6.82 TB
    free diskspace: 2.43 GB

Backup is using 12% (862 GB)
    Folders and duplication uses 25 % each (1.8 TB each)
    free is 35 % (2.4 GB)

Friday, August 6, 2010 5:51 PM

Answers

• Hi,
    maybe you will have to delete the backup database at all with following procedure and start backups from the scratch.
    Before doing so, check the event log for any related error messages (i.e. damaged sectors or other hardware issues).

To delete the backup database:

On the server open a command prompt.
    Enter following commands:
    net stop pdl
    net stop whsbackup
    (maybe one or both commands will state, that the service is not running, this is to be expected in your situation)
    d:
    cd  \folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}
    del *.*

(You can also perform the deletion of all files in that folder from Windows Explorer after stopping the mentioned services, if you are not so sure about the command prompt.)
    After completing the deletion (ensure that no files did remain in the folder) restart either the services or the server.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Friday, August 6, 2010 9:01 PM
  • Hello,

everything looks good... all workstations already backuped ... thanks a lot

Tweety

Sunday, August 8, 2010 4:57 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    maybe you will have to delete the backup database at all with following procedure and start backups from the scratch.
    Before doing so, check the event log for any related error messages (i.e. damaged sectors or other hardware issues).

To delete the backup database:

On the server open a command prompt.
    Enter following commands:
    net stop pdl
    net stop whsbackup
    (maybe one or both commands will state, that the service is not running, this is to be expected in your situation)
    d:
    cd  \folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}
    del *.*

(You can also perform the deletion of all files in that folder from Windows Explorer after stopping the mentioned services, if you are not so sure about the command prompt.)
    After completing the deletion (ensure that no files did remain in the folder) restart either the services or the server.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Friday, August 6, 2010 9:01 PM
  • Hello,

everything looks good... all workstations already backuped ... thanks a lot

Tweety

Sunday, August 8, 2010 4:57 PM