Straight CLONE (no resize) of WHS system drive - a simple answer? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a 500GB WHS System drive that is giving me warning messages int he WHS console. I want to replace it with the same model drive without a server re-install. A simple, straight clone without tryign to resize or make a geometry change etc should be possible.

Any ideas?
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 5:02 AM

All replies

• Cloning does work but is unsupported (like everything else!!) - the risky part is in putting your old system drive back into the Windows Home Server without formatting it.  You will end up with the wrong serial number reported for your drive if it's part of the drive name in System Storage - you can change this in the registry.
    --
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 10:32 AM
  • Cloning your system drive is unsupported, and you should be prepared for the possibility that you will need a server recovery anyway (you don't say what the errors you're seeing are; some errors can indicate that cloning will not result in a stable system afterward). It can, however, be done .
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 11:27 AM
  • Cloning your system drive is unsupported, and you should be prepared for the possibility that you will need a server recovery anyway (you don't say what the errors you're seeing are; some errors can indicate that cloning will not result in a stable system afterward). It can, however, be done .

That article, though widley referred to - is the overly complex steps I referred to. it is wholly pointed at upgrading a drive and the needs of new geometries and so on. There is no indicationt here of what point to stop if you simply replace a drive with the same drive model. It seems like needlessly complex overkill.

Ken
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 11:29 AM
  • Just clone the drive - use gparted or Arcronis or whatever you have, then copy the old system Disk to the new one.  Though as Ken mentions I wouldn't be surprised if you can't clone the whole drive due to disk read errors.
    --
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 12:11 PM
  • I did say it was unsupported...

You have to go all the way through the process. Just cloning the drive using Acronis, etc. will almost certainly result in a server that won't work properly. You have to copy GUIDs, etc. which is what that article walks you through. If you don't feel up to the task, don't even try. Instead, use the techniques designed into the product: replace the current system drive and do a server recovery. See this FAQ for a sketchy look at that process.
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 12:22 PM
  • If you use cloning software that copies all sectors, both in-use and unused, and preserves the Disk Signature in the first sector then it will work. I know of someone who did exactly that using O&O Disk Image and it worked.

Some cloning and imaging software will not copy the Disk Signature from the source drive to the destination drive and this will lead to the problems that Ken describes.
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 5:30 PM