Product Keys RRS feed

• Question

• Hey, so...

I recently encountered a rather rough computer virus and I used my disk - without even thinking - and wiped my harddrive and did a clean install of Windows 7...

Now I can't seem to find the case in which I received my Windows 7 Disk from Toshiba (it was a free upgrade that came in a nice little package).

I've tried using keyfinders only to receive the first few characters (trial versions suck...) and the default Windows 7 Product Key.

What in the world do I need to do to get this activated with my valid product key?

I hope there's an answer out there...

Thanks,

Connor

Thursday, March 3, 2011 2:15 PM

Answers

• Ok, I called Toshiba.

They basically told me that I should do a system restore and it will reset my computer to factory standards...

But I will still lose my Windows 7 Upgrade >_>...

So I guess the only thing left to do now is get a new copy of Windows 7...

Did you explain to Toshiba that the Win 7 was the technology upgrade given to you because you purchased a Vista laptop with the "free" upgrade to Win 7.  That you lost the key to the upgrade?  If so and they refused to help then you will probably have to purchase a new Win 7. (A Win 7 upgrade version requires an activated legitimate qualifying operating system installed prior to the upgrade where a full retail package does not.)

Before the purchase you can read the information on the following page and see if any of that will help: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;326246 and scroll down to "Replacement product key."
    Thursday, March 3, 2011 6:23 PM

All replies

• Did you contact Toshiba?
    Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Thursday, March 3, 2011 2:38 PM
    Answerer
  • I haven't yet... I'm not really even sure what to tell them or how to request another product key.

The main idea here is not to pay for another copy of Windows 7.

Thursday, March 3, 2011 2:46 PM
  • For heaven's sake ask Toshiba if they can help!  They don't charge for answering questions.
    Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Thursday, March 3, 2011 3:42 PM
    Answerer
  • Ok, I called Toshiba.

They basically told me that I should do a system restore and it will reset my computer to factory standards...

Thursday, March 3, 2011 4:04 PM
  • Ok, I called Toshiba.

Did you explain to Toshiba that the Win 7 was the technology upgrade given to you because you purchased a Vista laptop with the "free" upgrade to Win 7.  That you lost the key to the upgrade?  If so and they refused to help then you will probably have to purchase a new Win 7. (A Win 7 upgrade version requires an activated legitimate qualifying operating system installed prior to the upgrade where a full retail package does not.)

Before the purchase you can read the information on the following page and see if any of that will help: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;326246 and scroll down to "Replacement product key."
    Thursday, March 3, 2011 6:23 PM