product key RRS feed

• Question

• I entered the correct product key # of my laptop but it has been rejected as invalid, and now I do not know what to do again.

Sunday, November 4, 2007 7:59 PM

Answers

• That is incorrect. CD key (Product keys) are NOT one use only.

You are permitted to reinstall and activate Windows as many times as you want to, as long as your use of Windows maintains compliance with the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA).

My suggestion is to use the Activate by Phone method. If you are haveing problem during Install, then contact Vista support a http://support.microsoft.com/ Windows install issues are usually no cost.

Thank you,
    Darin Smith
    WGA Forum Manager

Saturday, November 10, 2007 12:49 AM

All replies

• Often, the CD-Keys of a Windows installation that you buy from the store and is included on the PC or laptop is an OEM. Which means, it ONLY works once, so if you have unlucky been caught by a virus or something and need to reset the PC or laptop back to factory settings, I think your pretty much out of luck. Some companies like HP provide recovery partitions and a method of making recovery disks, which can reset your PC or laptop back to factory settings.

If your laptop IS a OEM, and you decided to reformat it and install a fresh copy of Windows, then you pretty much killed your chances of opening the computer.. Sorry. ALWAYS use a recovery partition or disk provided or created to do that.

If your Windows installation is just a CD-Key you bought and is NOT an OEM, there shouldn't be any problems. But since yours doesn't work, then it probably is. If you don't have a recovery partition or disk, then I think your out of luck.

Monday, November 5, 2007 7:28 PM
  • That is incorrect. CD key (Product keys) are NOT one use only.

You are permitted to reinstall and activate Windows as many times as you want to, as long as your use of Windows maintains compliance with the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA).

My suggestion is to use the Activate by Phone method. If you are haveing problem during Install, then contact Vista support a http://support.microsoft.com/ Windows install issues are usually no cost.

Thank you,
    Darin Smith
    WGA Forum Manager

Saturday, November 10, 2007 12:49 AM