CRM Outlook connector installation issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I am having some trouble installing the CRM outlook connector where it is stuck in a restart loop. The system I am trying to install it on is a laptop running Vista Business with a fresh install of Office 2007. I have extracted the installation files and when I start the installation the program pops up a box stating that installation cannot proceed as there is a pending restart. I have restarted the machine several times but the issue persists. Does anyone have any ideas how to get past this point?

Thanks in advance

Steven
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 12:30 PM

Answers

• Hi Steven,

you can use this RegKeys to start the setup:

- create into “HKCU\Software\Microsoft” the key “MSCRMClient”
    - add a DWORD value named IgnoreChecks and set the value to 1

That should help
    Viele Grüße

Michael Sulz
    axcentro GmbH
    MVP für Microsoft Dynamics CRM
    • Proposed as answer by Donna EdwardsMVP Thursday, November 19, 2009 4:23 PM
    • Marked as answer by doireboy Friday, November 20, 2009 2:16 PM
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 1:45 PM

All replies

• Hi Steven,

you can use this RegKeys to start the setup:

- create into “HKCU\Software\Microsoft” the key “MSCRMClient”
    - add a DWORD value named IgnoreChecks and set the value to 1

That should help
    Viele Grüße

Michael Sulz
    axcentro GmbH
    MVP für Microsoft Dynamics CRM
    • Proposed as answer by Donna EdwardsMVP Thursday, November 19, 2009 4:23 PM
    • Marked as answer by doireboy Friday, November 20, 2009 2:16 PM
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 1:45 PM
  • Hi Michael,

I will give that a try and let you know if it works in this case.

Thanks

Steven
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 9:16 AM
  • Hi Michael,

THat REG edit worked like a charm and the install and config ran normally from there. Many thanks for your help.

Steven
    Friday, November 20, 2009 2:16 PM
  • Just to mention this key worked for me too, on Windows 7 64 bit edition, running Outlook / Office 2010 Beta 32 bit (I still have older versions of Office on so I can't run 64 bit version alongside them, unfortunately).

I was using setupclient.exe to install the new version of the client with Update rollup 7 slipstreamed in.

Just a minor note, I was installing this from a non-admin account so after a UAC prompt the install was running as administrator. To get the IgnoreChecks key to work, you need to run regedit as the same account you will run the install as, so in my case I found regedit (Start > type regedit and let search find it for me), hit Ctrl-Shift-clicked on the shortcut to get it to runas admin, gave it credentials, so now it was running as admin the "current user" key was the right one. (otherwise you need to add the key and DWORD value to the right key for the admin account, which a normal user would not have the right to do anyway).

Thought this might help others who are looking for help on the same error that reads:
    Installation cannot proceed: Setup cannot continue because a pending restart is required.

(and help the search engines to pick this up with the other keywords, as this article was not easy to find).
    • Edited by Adam Vero Friday, December 4, 2009 3:38 PM corrected wording of error message so it is easier for search engines to match exactly
    Friday, December 4, 2009 3:36 PM
  • Worked a treat. Thanks Michael.
    Friday, May 28, 2010 3:49 PM
  • 100% working solution helped me too

many thanx!

Monday, October 18, 2010 11:43 AM
  • Worked for CRM 4.0 on Windows 7 Pro 64bit on Office 2010 32bit
    Friday, April 1, 2011 6:09 PM
  • This did not work for me but, looking for reg keys that contian data in these areas of the registry did.

For one Win7 machine deleteing the following values from the the middle key, got me going OK

Content Merger
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\10.0\SharedCOM\ContentMerger10.exe

AvgUninstallURL
    cmd.exe /c start http://www.avg.com/ww.special-uninstallation-feedback-appf?lic

• HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windwos\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEX

Now i know what i'm looking for articles like these ones really helped

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2004114

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/crmdeployment/thread/41d906c4-7b04-482c-8487-ca4765fb12f8/

Stuart
    Friday, September 30, 2011 8:31 AM
  • Works for me thanks Michael.

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 10:45 AM
  • Hi Mic,

it works for me. thanks for saving my time. :-)

Regards,

A.Ajay

Regards, A.Ajay
    Wednesday, December 28, 2011 5:39 PM
  • Thanks, Adam - your point about the reg entry being created for the same account was helpful, as I was running this as a package in SCCM I added it to my install script so SYSTEM has the key in its user registry.
    Friday, March 15, 2013 8:51 PM