Primary hard drive crashed, recover installation failed - options RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I've reviewed similar questions and answers and they all make sense, however, I'm not getting the expected result and could use some input.  My WHS has 4 drives three 250GB drives and 1 1.5tb drive.  The system drive is the 250GB drive, however, it stopped booting, unable to access a file during start-up.  I tried to recover the installation, unfortunately, halfway through the installation the system could not read the DVD disk and the recovery failed.  I replaced the DVD drive and cleaned the server installation disk, but any attemps to recover the installation fails as my only option is a "new installation".  So I purchased a new 1.5TB drive and tried do a recovery using the instructions posted here.  The new clean 1.5tb drive is disk 0, the other 1.5tb drive is disk 1 and has  Bus/FS: NTFS Name: Data.  The other two 250GB drives are disk 2 and disk 3 both BUS/FS: NTFS and Name: Data.  Based on the instructions I have found here, because the new system drive is disk 0 I should be recieving the option to recover my installation but I'm not.  I'd rather not have to pull out three hard drives and manually copy the data from one computer to a new server install.  Help please!
    Sunday, November 8, 2009 2:33 AM

Answers

• Sometimes, even with all drivers provided and the disks in the proper sequence, a server reinstall is not offered.
    One of the reasons could be, that during the crash, which caused WHS to fail, other disks also got corrupted in a sense, that they are not longer recognized as WHS data volumes.
    Or another faulty disk was the initial reason, that WHS and the later reinstallation failed.

These are the situations, in which you cannot circumvent the manual method, as it is described in the FAQ How to recover data after server failure.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by Tharnax1 Sunday, November 8, 2009 1:57 PM
    Sunday, November 8, 2009 11:29 AM

All replies

• Sometimes, even with all drivers provided and the disks in the proper sequence, a server reinstall is not offered.
    One of the reasons could be, that during the crash, which caused WHS to fail, other disks also got corrupted in a sense, that they are not longer recognized as WHS data volumes.
    Or another faulty disk was the initial reason, that WHS and the later reinstallation failed.

These are the situations, in which you cannot circumvent the manual method, as it is described in the FAQ How to recover data after server failure.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by Tharnax1 Sunday, November 8, 2009 1:57 PM
    Sunday, November 8, 2009 11:29 AM
  • Thanks Olaf, yes I had read your posted before I started my topic.  I hoped the was another way around it but I guess not now to start a server re-installation from scratch.

Sunday, November 8, 2009 1:59 PM