OneCare PC Status: Fair - Doesn't reflect User's Security Status RRS feed

• Question

• I just bailed out of a competitors security program because it wanted to rule my machines.

As I have turned OFF:

-  backup (I take care of this myself)

- Tuneup (Again I take care of this on my own time table)

Plus haven't installed IE7 as I don't like the new interface or the extra's ... if MS supported the IE6 interface, much like the XP Classic interface settings, I might consider IE7 otherwise not interested in glizt and glitter ... as for phishing sites this should be covered by

My issue is that if a user sets options especially ones that have no bearing on the security of the machine then the MACHINES STATUS shouldn't be degraded to FAIR! 

Monday, April 28, 2008 6:18 PM

Answers

• Turning off backup does not affect your security status in OneCare.

You can't turn off the Tune-up in OneCare, you can cancel it when you catch it starting and it will then reflect in your status eventually as it needs to run.

You must install IE7 as IE6 is less secure than IE7, hence the reason it is now considered an important update for your system. If you prefer to use an alternative browser, you must still update the IE code which resides on your PC, even if unused. Not upgrading IE does impact the security of the system.

-steve

Monday, April 28, 2008 6:30 PM

All replies

• Turning off backup does not affect your security status in OneCare.

You can't turn off the Tune-up in OneCare, you can cancel it when you catch it starting and it will then reflect in your status eventually as it needs to run.

You must install IE7 as IE6 is less secure than IE7, hence the reason it is now considered an important update for your system. If you prefer to use an alternative browser, you must still update the IE code which resides on your PC, even if unused. Not upgrading IE does impact the security of the system.

-steve

Monday, April 28, 2008 6:30 PM
  • I appreciate that IE7 has some enhancements but MS is still updating IE6 so other then the Phishing features (which are optional) how is IE6 less secure? ... IE7 doesn't work in W2K either so are you saying that anyone using OneCare in other OS's can never get a GOOD or EXCELENT STATUS?

My opinion is that this status is subjective ... I can't roll this product out to small business clients because the Status doesn't reflect their systems are working properly when there are no issues.

Monday, April 28, 2008 8:21 PM
  • OneCare only works on XP 32 bit, SP2 or later and Vista. IE7 is available for XP and is the only option for IE in Vista. Win2K is an end of life product and is inherently less secure.

Have a look here for why IE6 is less secure than IE7 - http://blogs.pcmag.com/securitywatch/2008/01/ie6_users_why.php

-steve

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 12:29 AM
  • Why do you reference a 3rd party source to support your argument of an MS product???  Not only that but the source you have provided has little or no substance supporting your point.  It is also contains plenty of noise which supports my long felt position that MS no longer listens to its customers..

Vista may be the new flavour of the Month but like numerous flavours of Dos, and Windows before it, Vista will most likely be remembered as just another flop ... IE7 is in the same boat. I used IE7 for at least a month and went back to IE6 just the same way people flocked back to XP after trying Vista.

I use IE6 because from my experience it is still the most compatible Browser out there, it has a simple and flexible interface, and it is relatively stable. As a software developer of 30+ years I would call this a mature product. "Mature" is not a dirty word ... it doesn't mean that it has to be completely reinvented ... there was absolutely no reason to change something that works! Don't fix something thats not broken. If there are still security issues then fix them ...  I'm sure IE7 isn't perfectly secure either.

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 6:24 AM
  • I'm certainly not going to win any argument with you. I provided a reference to an article based on a quick search last night. Note that I don't work for Microsoft. The forum moderators are volunteers.

All I can say is that you are entitled to your opinions and thanks for trying OneCare, but it clearly doesn't meet your needs.

-steve

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 12:09 PM
  • Hi,
    Not sure if you can assist, I am new to this security system and am getting a rating of fair and not sure what this means and what I can do about it...do you have any useful information?..thanks...dg
    Sunday, May 18, 2008 1:29 AM
  •  drcrown@aol.com wrote:
    Hi,
    Not sure if you can assist, I am new to this security system and am getting a rating of fair and not sure what this means and what I can do about it...do you have any useful information?..thanks...dg

Open OneCare and you will see a banner at the top of the main program interface that defines the actions to take. I suspect that it wants you to configure backup.

-steve

Monday, May 19, 2008 1:26 PM