reboots during tuneup RRS feed

• Question

•  

Everytime tuneup runs on my computer, I get a reboot. It only happens on my Vista computer and not my xp boxes. Vista reboots with an unknown error. I have replaced the RAM, power supply, hard drive and sound card. In installed an external networkcard and yet everytime tuneup runs it reboots.

Anyone know a fix for this.

pnolte

Sunday, March 9, 2008 8:36 PM

Answers

• Please contact support for help on this problem.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

If the PC is a laptop, the only thing I can suggest other than calling support is to insure that the laptop is adequately ventilated as intensive activity of a Tune-up can cause overheating and a reboot.

Out of curiosity, and perhaps to get some other ideas for the possible cause, at what point in Tune-up is the reboot/crash happening? Is it consistent in that it always happens at about x% of a virus and spyware scan, for example?

-steve

Monday, March 10, 2008 5:38 PM

All replies

• Please contact support for help on this problem.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

If the PC is a laptop, the only thing I can suggest other than calling support is to insure that the laptop is adequately ventilated as intensive activity of a Tune-up can cause overheating and a reboot.

Out of curiosity, and perhaps to get some other ideas for the possible cause, at what point in Tune-up is the reboot/crash happening? Is it consistent in that it always happens at about x% of a virus and spyware scan, for example?

-steve

Monday, March 10, 2008 5:38 PM
  • This is not a laptop but a computer that I built last February. It has an ASUS P5NSLI main board with all of the onboard peripherals turned off. It has the latest bios. I had xp pro running for a few months then decided to install Vista. I did a fresh install of Vista on this box. The xp box had OneCare running on it with no problems. It has all of the latest drivers. this is not heat related as I can play games on it and it is stable. I have run games for hours and the temps are well within normal ranges.

After the vista install, I started getting blue screens with memory errors. I replaced everything that had memory except for the cpu. New power supply, video card, sound card, HD and ram--thinking that the error may be hardware related. When I put the XP disk back in, I never get a blue screen, but I don’t have OneCare installed on the xp drive. After replacing everything, I only get the forced reboot during the one care tune-up. I have no idea where in the tune-up the problem is as it take forever to run. I can run everything by it self with no problem..  defrag, backup and virus scan. Only when the tune-up runs automatically do I have the problem.  The only way I know it goes blue is because I have seen the screen pop up blue and then reboot from across the room.

The blue screen happened before at random time but all the time now during the tune up.

Pat Nolte

Monday, March 10, 2008 6:48 PM
  • Hi, Pat.

Under system properties, (right click computer, select properties, then Advanced System Properties and accept the UAC prompt) go to Startup and Recovery settings and remove the check mark for "automatically restart" which may help pinpoint what is actually crashing.

I wonder if it the driver for the hard drive controller.

-steve

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 2:03 AM