Backup fails on one client machine RRS feed

• Question

• I have a WHS2011 server with 6 client machines.  Four machines are running Windows 10 Home Premium with 1607 Anniversary Update, one machine is a Windows 7 box and the last is Windows 10 Pro Technical Preview.  All are 64bit.

On my one and only UEFI based system, backups are failing every day.  After these backups started failing and I could not resolve the problem, I completely rebuilt the machine from scratch using the Anniversary Update as the base line.  Made a 1607 CD and booted from that and installed on a completely new fresh 2TB drive.

Everything worked fine for the first couple of days and then the backups started failing.  The only information  I have is that in the Event Viewer I see the error that says "Backup job xx on Server did not succeed.  Reason: EspCaptureFailed, System.String[]".  Looked in the logfiles directory at EspCapture.log and found no errors.  Looked in the SharedServiceHost-BackupClientConfig.log and found the same error; EspCaptureFailed.  Also found message  "Read catch IOException Unable to read data from tranport connection: An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine., generation 1, reconnect" followed by "Finished. Status : Failed, Error : EspCaptureFailed".

I'm at my wits end with this.  I've manually run the ROBOCOPY without any errors.  I've run CHKDSK on the Z: drive without any errors.  It appears something else is causing this to fail and I need help.

Anybody with any ideas?

Thanks

Greg ...

Sunday, September 11, 2016 2:03 PM

All replies

• Hi,

According to your description, my understanding is that WHS client backup failed on only one client which is an UEFI based system every day.

I want to confirm with you that if you have install the hotfix mentioned in KB 2781272.

A hotfix is available to add backup support for UEFI-based computers to back up to servers that are running Windows Home Server 2011:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2781272

Besides, try to disable any 3rd party process, including anti-virus program temporarily (restart the client in clean boot if possible) and check to see if it is effect by 3rd party process.

Also, it if it a physical machine, make sure that you have the hardware drivers(including BIOS, NIC, etc.) up to date. Try to connect the client to WHS via cable, instead of wireless connection.  

If the problem persists, what is the OS version of the problematic client? Any related event has been logged in Event Viewer? 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 12, 2016 9:00 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Eve.

The hotfix for UEFI based machines was installed last year when I first purchased the failing computer.  The backup has been working flawlessly for over a year.  Until the 1607 Anniversary update that is! 

The computer is connected via cable directly to my router and the WHS machine is also connected directly to the router.  I just went out last week and purchased all new CAT 6a cables just to be sure that the problem was not with my older 5e cables.

Yesterday before sending out my call for help, I removed my anti-virus software (ESET Smart Security)  from the computer.  The backup ran successfully last night!

The client machine is a Windows 10 Version 1607 build 14393.105.  The only error message in the event log is the one that says that the backup job has failed and the reason is EspCaptureFailed, System.String[].  There is also a DCOM error that I'm trying to track down.

Thanks again for the help.

Greg ...

Monday, September 12, 2016 1:35 PM
  • Hi,

>I removed my anti-virus software (ESET Smart Security)  from the computer.  The backup ran successfully last night!
    How about other Windows 10 client which has 1607 Anniversary Update, and also has the anti-virus software (ESET Smart Security) installed? Will the same problem happens on other device?

If possible, re-install the anti-virus software, if the same problem happens again, there may be compatibility related problem.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 14, 2016 2:06 PM
  • Eve, there was never a problem with my other 1607 Anniversary clients.  In fact the only client I experienced the problem on was the UEFI based machine.  However ...

I think I have the problem resolved and it appears to be something I should have thought about before.

As I mentioned, I have a Windows Home Server 2011 which acts as a file server, media server and backs up 6 client machines.   Back at the end of April I had to completely rebuild this WHS box because Windows Update was so screwed up that the machine would never complete all updates needed.  When the machine was rebuilt, I had a list of configuration options to complete that were not a standard part of a WHS install.  As it turns out, I missed one of these options.

I have a small home network as mentioned and do not have a domain server, WINS server or DNS Server so rely on Windows to elect the Master Browser.  I normally edit the registry on the WHS box to force it to become the Master Browser and edit the registries on the client machines to force them to NEVER become the Master Browser.  But when Microsoft upgraded each of my clients to Windows 10 I did not make the registry changes there and also when I rebuilt the WHS box forgot to make the changes there.

Anyway, one of my Windows 10 client boxes became the master browser.  As luck would have it, this machine was the first to be backed up each night so when it woke and ran the backup everything worked.  Three of the other clients also woke when this machine was either being backed up or before it returned to sleep, so they too successfully completed their backups.  The problem machine was the last to perform its backup and by then the master browser was back sleeping and hence, the client could not find the server.

At least that's my guess as to the order of things.  I have now modified the registries of all machines, the WHS Server is now the master browser and all clients are being backed up as they should be.  My next step is to reinstall ESET back onto this client and monitor for failures again.

I only wish there was an automatic way for this to work instead of relying on Wins.

Thanks for your help.  It was appreciated.

Greg ...

Thursday, September 15, 2016 1:52 PM

• As I mentioned, I have a Windows Home Server 2011 which acts as a file server, media server and backs up 6 client machines.   Back at the end of April I had to completely rebuild this WHS box because Windows Update was so screwed up that the machine would never complete all updates needed.  When the machine was rebuilt, I had a list of configuration options to complete that were not a standard part of a WHS install.  As it turns out, I missed one of these options.

I have a small home network as mentioned and do not have a domain server, WINS server or DNS Server so rely on Windows to elect the Master Browser.  I normally edit the registry on the WHS box to force it to become the Master Browser and edit the registries on the client machines to force them to NEVER become the Master Browser.  But when Microsoft upgraded each of my clients to Windows 10 I did not make the registry changes there and also when I rebuilt the WHS box forgot to make the changes there.

Is this a normal thing to have to configure with your home network? How did you configure the server to be the master browser and the clients to never be the master browser? I ask because I started having a client back-up problem this week.
    Thursday, September 15, 2016 3:23 PM
  • Yes, this appears to be something normal with MY home network.  I have been doing it this way since way back with Windows Home Server V1.

The changes I make are documented in Technet.

First you have to check to make sure that your WHS Browser service has been enabled.  Go to Start -> Administrative Tools -> Services and then scroll down till you find Computer Browser.  Make sure that the Start up Type is set to automatic.

Next start the registry editor (regedit) and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Browser\Parameters.  Double click on MaintainServerList so that it says Yes.  While still there, create a new key of type REG_SZ with a name of IsDomainMaster and set its value to either True or Yes. 

Doing this will give the WHS box priority when a browse election is held.

On the client machines, go to the same registry key and this time set the value of MaintainServerList to either Auto or No.  Setting the value to Auto will still allow the machine to become the Master Browser, but when an election is held, the WHS server should win.  Setting it to a value of No says to never allow it to win.  I have set all my client machines except on to No.

If anybody knows of a better way to accomplish this, I would love to hear about it.  I'm thinking about upgrading my WHS server to either Windows Server Essentials 2012 R2 or whatever equivalent is available with Windows Server 2016 when it becomes available.  Doing that will allow me to either run a domain server and/or at least run a WINS server (I think!!).  Testing will have to done first though.

Greg ...

Thursday, September 15, 2016 4:35 PM
  • Hope this helps!  If you make the changes, please let me know your results.

Greg ...

Thursday, September 15, 2016 4:37 PM
  • Eve, I think I spoke too soon! 

After 2 nights of successful backups, I reloaded my ESET SmartSecurity back onto this machine.  Everything went smoothly until last nights backup which again failed.  

So I then uninstalled both ESET and the WHS Connector from my failing box.  Re-installed ESET, but using a prior version.  All my other machines are running ESET 9.something but all had been upgraded from 8.something so I installed version 8.  Then I installed the WHS Connector and ran a manual backup (no problems).  So now I'll wait for tonights backup to see what happens.

I did it this way because my other Win10 1607 machines had been upgraded from 1507 and ESET had been upgraded as well.  The only difference with this machine is that it was installed as a clean build from a bootable USB downloaded from Microsoft.  That and the fact that this is my only UEFI box.

Will let you know the results.

Thanks.

Greg ...
    Friday, September 16, 2016 11:01 PM
  • Hi,

I am checking to see how things are going there on this issue. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Wednesday, September 21, 2016 7:38 AM
  • Hi Eve.

As I mentioned above, I uninstalled both the WHS Connector and my ESET security package from my machine, then reinstalled version 8 of ESET instead of the current version 9 of that product.  After installing and rebooting, I then reinstalled the WHS Connector and let it run.  It has now been 5 nights of successful backups!

So now I'm going to do an upgrade of ESET to the current version and see what happens. 

Right now I'm thinking it is a problem with the firewall in ESET Smart Security or a problem with the order in which ESET and WHS connector were installed.  I've sent a message outlining this problem to the people at ESET but as of yet have not heard anything back.

I will let you know if anything starts breaking again after I do the ESET upgrade.

Thanks again for your help.

Greg ...

Wednesday, September 21, 2016 1:39 PM
  • Ok Eve, I've received a reply back from ESET.  Their suggestion is to add a firewall rule.  But I'm not sure what rule to add as I'm not entirely sure how the backup actually runs.  All I know is that the backup is started by a Task Scheduler job.  I think this job starts and sends some sort of message to the server telling it that a backup wants to run.  The server then checks to see if it is busy and if not, initiates the backup.  If it is busy, then it puts the job in the queue to be processed later.

So is a rule needed to allow the client to talk to the server to tell it to start the backup or is the rule needed to allow the server to run the backup?

Finally, I'm not even convinced that a rule is needed.  If I manually release the backup job on the client, sometimes the backup will run and sometime it will fail.  If it fails, I just release it again and again till the backup runs.  This usually takes no more then 3 or 4 attempts.  But in the end I appear to always be able to force the backup to run.

I've sent this same information to ESET.

Strange!

Greg ...

Friday, September 23, 2016 2:01 PM
  • Try running it with the Firewall switched Off - that should confirm whether it's a problem or not.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Friday, September 23, 2016 6:02 PM
  • Thanks Phil, that was going to be my next exercise.

I wanted to run one more night in my current configuration to see if I could get a successful backup.  If it fails again tonight (as expected) then tomorrow morning before releasing the backup job on the client, I was going to disable the firewall and see if it starts and ends correctly.  As I mentioned previously, even with the firewall on, the backup does complete successfully sometimes, but fails more often then succeeds.

Greg ...

Friday, September 23, 2016 6:42 PM
  • Hi,

WHS is responsible for identifying the client backup schedule, backup store location and etc. On client, there are HWS related services which are installed when you connecting client to WHS via connector. Related tasks are created on the client side when you configure back up for the client on WHS. Anything blocks the communication between client and WHS may cause the failure on client back up. Also, client locally process which affect the backup process may also cause similar problem.

As there is no HWS on my test environment current now, I am unable to provide you the details of the client computer back up process. Above are the general working principles, just for your reference. 

Based on your description, it seems to be a randomly problem, and it is difficult to identify the reason. as Phil Harrison mentioned that to turn it off and check the result, would be a recommended way to further narrow down the problem.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Tuesday, September 27, 2016 9:55 AM
  • Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.  I've been waiting for ESET to get back to me.  

Anyway, I've run a dump utility from ESET at their request and sent the results off to them and am waiting to hear if they were able to discover anything. 

On the nights of the 25th and 26th the backups failed.  On both occasions, I released the nightly backup Task Scheduler job two more times before it would run to completion.  On each release that resulted in a backup failure, I could see the job start in the Dashboard windows, then within 15 seconds fail.  On the third release, the job would run to completion!

Last night the backup ran successfully at it's scheduled time!

I'm baffled.

I will update again when I hear back from ESET.

Thanks.

Greg ...

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 11:59 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your update.

Please let me know if you would like further assistance - reply to the thread any time, and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Friday, September 30, 2016 6:20 AM
  • Eve, I have something new to report although I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to report this.

Using exactly the same hardware, I built a new server.  But instead of using Window Home Server 2011, I instead installed a trial copy of Windows Server Essentials 2012 R2.  I then configured this system to be as close to my WHS box as possible. 

I then took two of my client machines (one a Windows 10 1607 box and one a Windows 7 SP1 box) and connected them to this new server and scheduled the backups to run automatically.  I let these machines backup nightly for a week without seeing any problem.  In fact I also did a bare metal restore of the Win10 box using the backup created on the new server.  No problems.

So next, on my failing client computer using a brand new hard drive, I built from scratch a new Windows 10 1607 installation and again, configured it as closely as possible as the failing machine.  I installed the same copy of ESET but connected it to my new WSE 2012 R2 as a client.  I then did a manual first backup of this new client to the server with no problem.

Then I waited till this morning when the scheduled backup was supposed to run.  Guess what.  It failed!!  In fact, looking at the backup log files on the server, the failure appears to be happening in exactly the same place.  So I cranked up the Task Scheduler on the client machine and released the backup to run again.  It failed almost immediately.  Released the job two more times with the same results.  Waited 10 more minutes and released the job once again,  but this time the backup ran to completion!

These are the exact same symptoms showing on my WHS server using the same client.  As this is my only UEFI based machine, the backup appears to run a little differently for this box.  The first thing that happens during the backup is that a ROBOCOPY backup of the EFI partition takes place and then what is supposed to happen is that this copy is then backed up to the server.  The backup to the server of this temporary file is what fails on both WHS and WSE servers.

Why it fails on some occasions but works on others is a mystery to me.  I don't grok Microsoft error codes  and of course finding what the error codes mean by looking online is a futile experience.

As I said, not sure if this forum handles WSE as well as WHS, but that is where it now stands.

Greg ...

Friday, September 30, 2016 2:12 PM
  • Hi,

If you disable/uninstall the ESET on the test system, will the backup work again? 

If the backup problem only happens when using the ESET, compatibility should be considered.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Thursday, October 6, 2016 9:19 AM
  • Good morning Eve.

I've been running the backups of the failing machine since the 29th of September using Windows Server Essentials 2012 R2.   There appears to be no difference between WSE 2012 R2 vs WHS 2011.  Both fail in exactly the same way.  Both do not fail every day, but do fail every second or third day.  When they do fail, I go into the Task Scheduler and re-release the nightly backup and in both cases, they will fail a couple of time before running to completion.

With WSE I can do a bare metal restore easily with the created USB recovery stick.  With WHS, I cannot do a bare metal restore as it can never seem to find the correct drivers for my network card (Realtek PCIe Gigabit) even after creating another USB stick with all the (supposed) drivers loaded.  WHS always ends with a failure to find the server.

With WHS I can do individual file restorations from previous backups.  With WSE, individual file restoration always fails with the message "The restore process did not succeed because your computer cannot connect to the server ...".

I contacted ESET and they asked me to create a log dump which I did and sent to them on September 27th.  I have not heard back from them since.  I sent another message on the 30th asking for an update and then sent another message this morning, again asking for an update.  It appears from their response (or lack thereof) that they have little interest in pursuing this issue.  So this morning, I removed ESET from this machine and am running with only Windows Defender.

Because of the way the WSE was able to perform a Bare Metal Restore I was going to purchase a copy of the product to replace my WHS 2011 system.  But because it CANNOT restore individual files, that idea is now dead in the water.  So my next step is to remove the WSE connector and reinstall the WHS connector and continue trying to resolve this problem using WHS.

I don't know whose fault this is, but one thing is certainly clear; Windows server solutions for the home and small business appear to be lacking in quality assurance.  Microsoft pushed Windows 10 upon us without ever making sure that it would work end to end with their other products. 

All I know is that I want (need) to get this fixed.  Having backups of my systems somehow seem like the prudent thing to do, don't you agree?

Thanks again for you help.

Greg ...

Thursday, October 6, 2016 3:54 PM
  • Eve, I'm again using Windows Home Server 2011 to back up all my machines, including the one giving me all my problems.  On that machine, I have reinstalled the WHS Connector and removed all traces of ESET.  Did a manual backup yesterday without issue and then let the system do an automatic backup this morning; again without issue.  Will let it run like this for a while.

Sent another request off to ESET for an update on my case.  Again no response from them as of yet.  If they continue to ignore me, then when my subscription expires in March, I'll be looking for a new anti-virus provider.

Will also wait till Windows Server Essentials 2016 is released before trying this product again.  Hopefully Microsoft will get it right this time and make a product that does all that it says it is supposed to do.  If it does, then I'll consider using it a my server product.

Greg ...

Friday, October 7, 2016 1:35 PM
  • Eve, with ESET removed and using only Windows Defender, the backups have run to completion every night since the 7th (4 backups).  Will leave ESET removed for a couple of more nights then re-install to see if it fails again.  I have sent 3 messages to ESET support regarding this without them ever getting back to me. 

Will keep you informed.

Greg ...

Monday, October 10, 2016 1:32 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your detail updating about the current state. 

As Windows Server system, it provides an uniform definitions environment, in order for varies different applications/programs to be installed and running on the same platform.  

As removing the 3rd party program makes the client backup to be working again. Seems that this application has effect on the backup process. I am afraid that I am unable to provide you more explanation as I am not familiar with this program and do not know it’s working principle. 

Again, thank you for your support and interest in Microsoft Product. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Wednesday, October 12, 2016 8:13 AM
  • Eve, I want to thank you for your help with this problem.  

It does however, seem to be a problem with ESET and not WHS.  I finally heard back from ESET yesterday, and they have given me a work around that I'm going to implement today.  In a nutshell ESET wants me to create a firewall rule to ignore any file in the EFI partition for real time protection.  The ROBOCOPY of the EFI partition appears to succeed but then fails on the backup to the WHS server.  Anyway, I'm going to re-install ESET on this system today and then create the rule and see what happens.

But this is no longer a problem for this forum.  Surprised nobody else has had this issue.  It is not just WHS that fails, but I've also used Windows Server Essentials 2012 R2 and had exactly the same failure.

Thanks again for all your help.

Greg ...

Wednesday, October 12, 2016 1:03 PM
  • Is it possible that you have an invalid file name?  I am having issues with other programs and apps on my Windows 2011 server and its because folders have a trailing period or space.
    Thursday, October 13, 2016 12:29 AM
  • Mike, I'm pretty sure that is not the problem.

This problem definitely has to do with my ESET security package.  I reinstalled ESET yesterday and modified the rules as per the ESET support team and the backup failed again this morning exactly has it has been doing previously.

ESET has now been uninstalled again.

Thanks for your answer though.

Greg ...

Thursday, October 13, 2016 12:48 PM
  • Eve, this problem is still ongoing.  I have been working with ESET to try and resolve this for a number of weeks now without any success.  I did as complete reinstall of my Windows 10 client machine from CD onto a brand new from factory uninitialized hard drive.  I let Windows create all necessary partitions. 

After installation, I then loaded my normal suite of software including the Windows Home Server 2011 connector.  I did not install my ESET Smart Security product, but instead used Microsoft's Windows Defender.  Ran the system this way for 7 days and the nightly back up worked every night.  Next I installed ESET Smart Security V8 and again ran for 7 days and again the nightly back up worked every night.

On Monday, I upgraded ESET to Version 9 and the backups failed for the next two nights.  On Wednesday at ESET's behest, I upgraded again to their latest and greatest Version 10 and the backups continued to fail.

This information has been transmitted to ESET support but no resolution seems to be imminent.

My question now is this; is there any way within WHS to turn on some sort of advanced logging.  I've examined all the available log files and can see nothing that would indicate the source of the problem.  The only error I see in the Event Viewer is the ESPCaptureFailed message. 

It might be time to cut my losses and run, but right now I just don't know where to run to!

Greg ...

Friday, November 4, 2016 1:29 PM
  • Norton Security works fine - no problems with backups to WHS2011.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Friday, November 4, 2016 8:08 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestion Phil, but  I would sooner fly naked than load any Norton product on my machine(s).

That said, it looks like I will be looking for something new as I cannot seem to get this working.   But it will not be Norton!

Greg ...

Friday, November 4, 2016 8:25 PM
  • Why not. Prejudice due to some of their poor products years ago? I have used it for years on multiple machines without problem.

Friday, November 4, 2016 8:37 PM
  • Yes Phil, prejudice.  A company has to earn and KEEP the respect of their customers.  Norton has done just the opposite.  Before Symantic they produced a product that wasn't bad; wasn't great either, but it did the job and didn't get in the way.  Then they went downhill in a hurry and didn't produce anything but crap for fifteen years. 

I just convinced one of my friends to get rid of it.  They had a Core i7-4779 at 3.4GHz and it ran like a old Pentium.  They loaded ESET (at my suggestion) and were amazed at how fast their machine really was.  This product replaced was a recent version of Norton 2015.  Norton software is still large and bloated and consumes far too many CPU cycles for what it does.  You should never even know you are running a security package and that is not the case with Norton.

ESET has served me well for 7 years.  But as you might have guessed, they are falling out of favor with me right now.  I will admit that their support department seems to be working hard to try and fix my problem, but as I said in the first line of this message, they have to KEEP the respect of their customers.  And when they lose it, it is very tough to regain.

But that said, when I start my search for a replacement (if it comes to that), then I will take another look at Norton.  But they will have to be especially good to overcome my pre-existing prejudice.

Greg ...

Friday, November 4, 2016 10:28 PM
  • Each to their own I guess! My main W10 server is significantly less powerful than the system you quoted and it runs fine.

Saturday, November 5, 2016 12:47 AM
  • Eve, not sure if you are still interested or not, but while a definitive answer to my problem has not been found, I do now have it all working again.  I think the answer lies in the layout of the partitions on the disk and while the ESET system seemed to exacerbate the situation, they were not the underlying problem.

The problem system is an HP Elite Core i7 box that uses UEFI instead of BIOS (as most modern systems do).  This machine came preinstalled with Windows 8.1 which I upgraded to Windows 10 to get the free Win10 license.  Immediately after the upgrade, I purchased a brand new 2TB Seagate drive and using this drive and a downloaded copy of Windows 10 on a CD, did a fresh install of Windows 10.  Reinstalled all my own software and utilities including WHS 2011 Connector and ESET.  And everything worked fine for a few weeks.  Then the backup failures began.

When the  Windows 10 installation program ran, it created four partitions on the drive:

• 450MB Windows Recovery
    • 99MB EFI
    • 16MB MSR
    • 1862GB System

According to a Technet (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/commercialize/manufacture/desktop/configure-uefigpt-based-hard-drive-partitions) article, the partition layout should be:

• 100MB EFI
    • 16MB MSR
    • rest of disk minus 450MB for system
    • 450MB Windows Recovery

So, starting from scratch on another brand new hard drive, I manually created the partitions as outlined above.  Then I re-installed Windows 10 Home on this system so that the EFI, MSR and Windows Recovery would be properly populated.  Next using WHS, I did a BMR of the just system partiton and then boot the system.  All seemed to be running as it should.  The backup worked correctly that night. 

However, the next night was Tuesday (most hated night of the month) when Microsoft rolls out their monthly updates which with Windows 10 I can now no longer control.  Anyway, after the updates the backups started failing again.  The updates also caused other errors to happed and the recommended solution was to "chkdsk" the system.  So I did a chkdsk /c /r on the system drive, rebooted and let chkdsk do it's thing.  Five hours later chkdsk finished and the system rebooted.  No errors where found in the chkdsk, but every night since then, the backups have been running correctly.

ESET is running fine.  WHS Connector is running fine.  Everything is now running fine again.

Not sure if if was partition layout or chcdsk or both, but it wasn't ESET.

Just thought you might like to know.

Thanks for all your help.

Greg ...

Saturday, November 26, 2016 2:16 PM