Additional question on business unit RRS feed

• Question

• I have a division in crm setup as a Business unit.  I did this because this business unit only need to see their data. So i created a team and assign the owner of the records to the team.  When a user of the team created a record i want the owner of the record to all ways default to the businessunt and not the person that created the record.  Since the Bu is used to filter records for viewing if a record is created and defaults to a user in the team it is possible that that records will not show up in a standard search.  Who do i resolve this issue.

ron

Thursday, September 13, 2012 6:40 PM

All replies

• Hi,

In MSCRM 4.0, only a user/queue can own a record. Teams/BusinessUnits can not own a record. Teams are used to share records.

In MSCRM 2011, teams can also own records. 

If you are using 2011, you should not have a problem but it seems you are in version 4.0 so there is no way you can set owner of a record to Business Unit. But you can achieve what you are looking for by using another approach. In fact, there are couple of ways you can do it.

You can create a relationship of entity with BusinessUnit entity and show Business Unit field on entity form, make it mandatory. So, whenever a user will create a record, he will have to select a business unit as well. Although, user will own the record but you will also have information about business unit in there as well so your search results will work fine when you want to search for records based on business units. 

Or with out adding the above relationship, change your search criteria to point to Business Unit of user who created a record. e.g;

Give me all records where Owner -- > Business Unit == 'BU name' (As User is already linked to BU so you don't have to do anything)

If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on the post and "Mark as Helpful" Thanks, Imran Abbasi

Friday, September 14, 2012 12:49 AM
  • i am using mscrm 2011 so are you saying if its 2011 that the records are shared among users ?

ron

Friday, September 14, 2012 1:08 AM
  • In CRM 4.0 you can share records among users via teams but only 1 user can own a record in crm 4.0. User who owns the record provides read/write privileges to that record to team members. Team can not own a record in CRM 4.0

Where as in CRM 2011, teams can also own a record so if a record is owned by team 'A' having user 'X', user 'Y', user 'Z' in it. All of the the users in team 'A' can work on that record just like a normal crm record owned by them.

If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on the post and "Mark as Helpful" Thanks, Imran Abbasi

Friday, September 14, 2012 9:58 AM