WHS 2011 locks up when trying to install connector software RRS feed

• Question

• Installed WHS 2011 on ASUS P5E-VM HDMI mobo with celeron CPU, 4 mb ram, 3 hard drives.  Had original version of WHS installed previously.  Installed using a USB device, downloaded all updates, and activated software.  No problems.  I uninstalled the original WHS connector software from my client pc.

- Every time I try to connect from a client PC, WHS 2011 crashes. I had followed instructions by opening Network on the client pc and double clicking on "Other Device" Server icon.  An IE9 window opens with a medium green background and links to download the connector software or the Mac connector software.  Sometimes the Mac link doesn't appear at all.  Clicking on the link does no good as WHS 2011 has already locked up - i.e., hard drive activity stops, crtl-alt-del does not work from the attached keyboard; with monitor connected no movement of mouse....  A hard reset is required.

- I'm able to use Remote Desktop Connection from my pc to access WHS 2011.

- Have not installed any "Add-In" programs; not running anti-virus yet on WHS 2011.

Any suggestions.  Thanks.

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 2:49 AM

Answers

• Schlas - you were right.  I reinstalled again, did as you and Franz noted - and it works.  Thank-you for your help.
    mfczap
    • Marked as answer by Ken Warren Saturday, September 17, 2011 12:58 AM
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 12:44 AM

All replies

• Try another "from scratch" install. Some people have ended up with an incomplete installation, or various odd issues after installation, which were resolved that way.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 10:31 AM
  • I reinstalled from scratch using the DVD instead of the bottable USB stick.  No change, still locks the server.  I also did the following:

- uninstalled / reinstalled Dot Net 4 (saw this on another post).

- new ethernet cable, plugged into switch instead of router...

- turned off / dicsonnect all other client PCs and tried.

- re-imaged to earlier Win 7 Pro install (made prior to installing WHS v1 Connector software).

Still doesn't connect.  However, WHS 2011 doesn't lock up - instead I get the following message:

Runtime Error

Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

... and then it gives info on how to configure the server to record the "events"...

mfczap
    Saturday, August 20, 2011 11:50 PM
  • I may be on to something...  Reading other forums, I typed //server in the browser and got a WHS 2011 screen telling me that Remote Web Access was not enabled.  I'm working thru that now as I have Uverse 2Wire router that is not UPnP cabpable.
    mfczap
    Sunday, August 21, 2011 4:46 AM
  • I would like to join this thread, as I have the exact same problem as mfczap.

After a clean reinstall I got the same error again. When I try to connect to http://MyServer/connect for the first time I get to see the intended page but the server freezes. After rebooting I get the same error page as mentioned above (with a little more info if I go to the page locally [http://localhost/connect]:)

[FileLoadException: Die Datei oder Assembly "ClientSetupWebsite" oder eine Abhängigkeit davon wurde nicht gefunden. 
    Falscher Parameter. (Ausnahme von HRESULT: 0x80070057 (E_INVALIDARG))]

Thanks for any ideas

schlas

Saturday, September 3, 2011 2:40 PM
  • I had the same problem and it was related to the Attansic L1 NIC interface on the mobo. The NIC driver supplied with WHS2011 apparently does not work with certain editions of this NIC hardware. The result is a complete freeze of the server in case of heavy network traffic, such as download of the connector sw to the client.

After complete installation of WHS 2011 and before installing the connector software you have to install first a different NIC driver version:

L1WinSetup_v2.4.7.27_WHQL.zip

I can not upload it here to the forum, but you will find it here:

http://wikidrivers.com/wiki/Atheros_L1_2.4.7.27

After I installed this driver, the frozen system did not reoccur anymore (since 6 weeks now)!

Btw. same problem was already discussed here:

http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php/topic/19000-new-whs-2011-install-nobody-can-connect/

Franz P.

• Edited by Franz_P Monday, September 5, 2011 6:25 PM
    Monday, September 5, 2011 6:21 PM
  • Thanks for your hint!

This solved my problem, I have the same NIC. I used Atheros L1 driver 2.4.7.29, everything seems to work fine now.

Thanks again,

schlas

Tuesday, September 6, 2011 12:06 PM
  • I tried Franz's solution and updated the driver as well.  No change.

Copied the WHS 2011 connector software to my client PC.  When trying to install it cannot find WHS.  Entering the IP address doesn't help...

I might note the router is a 2Wire 3800 HGV. 

Interestingly I can access WHS Server from the client PC by:

- double clicking on SERVER which lists as a computer under Windows Explorere "Network".  I have access to folders setup on WHS drives

- can use Remote Deskstop Connection to access WHS

- can access via Remote Web Access, although I get the message - "There is a problem with this website's security certificate.".

Here's the error showing when trying to connect using Http://Server/Connect in a web browswer...

Server Error in '/Connect' Application.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Runtime Error
    Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Appreciate the help.

mfczap
    Sunday, September 11, 2011 8:20 PM
  • Hi mfczap,
    this is what I had to do (on an Asus P5kr, P35 mobo).

Once broken, installing the drivers didn't help any, a had to start from scratch.

I logged on the server locally (RDP worked as well) and installed the Intel Chipset drivers, an Asus Acpi driver (for ATK0110) and Atheros L1 driver 2.4.7.29. I didn't try without the chipset driver but both of the two other drivers were needed.

Only then I got to see http://Myserver/connect...

Hope that helps

schlas

Monday, September 12, 2011 4:27 PM
  • Schlas - you were right.  I reinstalled again, did as you and Franz noted - and it works.  Thank-you for your help.
    mfczap
    • Marked as answer by Ken Warren Saturday, September 17, 2011 12:58 AM
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 12:44 AM
  • The server locking up was attributed to my Atheros NIC card. I installed the Intel Chipset drivers, an Asus Acpi driver (for ATK0110) and had the default Atheros driver installed and hit the hard hang.  I went online and downloaded the Atheros L1 driver 2.4.7.29 and installed.  Problem solved.

Wednesday, January 4, 2012 5:48 AM
  • So here's something I did to get this to work:

I noticed in my event log on my WHS PC, there were a bunch of errors for 
    Application: wmiprvse.exe
    Framework Version: v4.0.30319
    Description: The application requested process termination through System.Environment.FailFast(string message).
    Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.MediaStreaming.MediaStreamingProviderNotAvailableException: Connecting to the Media Streaming Provider timed out. ---> System.TimeoutException: Timeout occurred waiting for connection to complete.

I noticed that this happened EXACTLY during the time that my home server connector install was going on.  I had previously disabled the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service  Windows Server Media Streaming and Homegroup Service as WHS does an absolutely terrible job of sharing 120+GB of music over DLNA.  I ended up using a service called Asset UPNP instead.  Anyway, I re-enabled these services and the install worked this time.  Maybe this isn't your issue, but this is what I did.

tl;dr, check your server event log and see if there's anything weird going on during the install time on your client PC and see if there's something there that is error'ing out.

Sunday, November 11, 2012 12:56 AM