How many times must Genuine Validation Tool be re-installed? What's going on? RRS feed

• Question

•  

When does it end?

How many times do you have to re-install yet ANOTHER Windows Genuine Validation Tool???

My Windows copy is VALID. Microsoft has validated it countless times with it's little "tool". Why does it keep re-downloading yet another copy of this annoying "tool" when I've already been validated over and over?

With this kind of continual harrassment from Windows Update site, it makes my head begin to try to figure out what the logic is, and finds logic lacking. It never says it's an UPDATED VERSION of the Genuine Advantage Tool, it just says it's a download. So, I'm left wondering really bizarre things, such as: Is Microsoft hoping to find out that it suddenly ISN'T valid? Or does Microsoft want to snoop around on my machine for some ridiculous reason that I can't figure out? I don't have a patent on a new O/S so .... why? Is this Microsoft's sneaky way of doing other stuff under one name? Because honestly, if it isn't one of those above mentioned completely ridiculous scenarios, the only other thing that makes any sense is that they are not doing what they say they are doing.

Again: my copy of Windows has been validated for every little thing and has come up valid. So what is the problem?

Since it costs me FIFTY NINE DOLLARS just to get support; and navigating the help area of Microsoft is nearly impossible it's so NON-intuitive; I have turned to this forum.

I know that there are volunteers who try to answer the question, and I greatly appreciate their effort; however, I feel this is something that MICROSOFT should answer. It is Microsoft's product, and not something that volunteers should be made to answer. Volunteers didn't create this forced software, Microsoft did.

So, Microsoft: You need to answer to your paying customer: why do you continue to interrogate my software? It is bought and paid for, genuine, from MICROSOFT. Perhaps you don't trust your own software?

I feel you owe your paying customers (without whom, you would have no business at all and would not be the mega-conglomerate you are today) an answer to this question. I doubt I'm the only one who asks this question.

I look forward to your reply, Microsoft, and expect it to be prompt. You are PAID, after all, to do such things. Windows XP Home Edition SP2 is still under contract for your support.

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 11:02 AM

Answers

• Like most any other type of software, the WGA file is updated for various reasons to improve the WGA functionality and reliability.  Are you having any WGA related specific issue you would like to discuss?

• Marked as answer by JeniferA Thursday, September 11, 2008 7:46 PM
    Wednesday, January 16, 2008 2:54 PM

All replies

• Like most any other type of software, the WGA file is updated for various reasons to improve the WGA functionality and reliability.  Are you having any WGA related specific issue you would like to discuss?

• Marked as answer by JeniferA Thursday, September 11, 2008 7:46 PM
    Wednesday, January 16, 2008 2:54 PM
  •  Carey Frisch wrote:

Like most any other type of software, the WGA file is updated for various reasons to improve the WGA functionality and reliability.  Are you having any WGA related specific issue you would like to discuss?

Thank you for your time and effort in reading and answering me, even though you are not a Microsoft employee.

I believe, if the WGA is being updated, it should say something to that effect when it comes up as one of the patches that Windows Update grabs for me. Instead, what I see is "download". It's lazy if that's all it is. They should merely add the word "update" somewhere in there. How hard is that? And what exactly is it updating? Did it not work before? Is it, perhaps, something that would be NICE for the customer, such as stopping the invalidation of countless OEM O/S that were purchased by the scads of retail stores that sell computers? That would be cool. Smile

As far as me having any WGA related specific issue: my specific issue is this: why does it even need to update or upgrade itself? My computer is identified and is validated. I haven't moved. I haven't even added any new hardware.

My issue is I would like to know why it has to continue to use up space on my harddrive, repeatedly re-validating something that is already validated?

Thanks for your time Carey.

Saturday, April 19, 2008 6:46 AM