Office Home and Student 2007 fails validation RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I just bought Office Home and Student 2007 at Best Buy. When trying to validate it I get the following code:

0x80180112

The message states that important files have been tempered with and that the validation could not be completed.

Product passes my test of being an original MS product (DVD, sticker, etc.) and I also doubt that Best Buy sells products that are pirated copies.

I would appreciate it if Microsoft could help fix this problem since I paid quite a bit of money for the products.

The office product runs on an OEM Vista Ultimate that is activated and passes the validation process.

I run Kasprisky as Antivirus/Antispyware solution...not sure if that is a problem but it has not been in the past. 

Tuesday, July 3, 2007 11:21 AM

Answers

• Anonymous,

Without having the full diagnostic results it will be hard to provide a true assessment. The error code you are posting is a Volume Licensing Key and more than likely has been blocked. Now the question is which version of Office is blocked? This problem you can resolve by visiting the store where you purchased the MS Office and explain the situation. Please run the diag report and post here in the forum. Next I would take the results along with the software and visit the store. Show them the results and ask for your monies back and/or genuine software. Also you may submit a piracy report. Here you will be given specific instructions along where to mail the software you have to MS for us to analyze. You may be eligible for free copies should the software be found as high counterfiet.  If you have further questions please feel free to re-post.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

OGA Forum Manager

Tuesday, July 3, 2007 10:41 PM
  • Stephen,

The error code I posted is not a Volume Licensing Key. it is an error code generated by the tool that does the validation. I have worked in environments that use volume licensing. This is not a volume license but a legally purchased single user license of Office 2007 from Best Buy.

I just know that the validation process is causing a lot of people with legal copies headaches. I did some more research and the forum is full with people who have the same error code. Reality is that the validation process is buggy and legal copies of Office are not validated correctly. Unfortunately the procedures posted to fix the problem are only for XP and 2000 and not for Vista.

I just ran the validation again and now I suddenly have a genuine copy of Office....Microsoft needs to stop using end users as Beta tester.

Wednesday, July 4, 2007 2:42 AM

All replies

• Anonymous,

Without having the full diagnostic results it will be hard to provide a true assessment. The error code you are posting is a Volume Licensing Key and more than likely has been blocked. Now the question is which version of Office is blocked? This problem you can resolve by visiting the store where you purchased the MS Office and explain the situation. Please run the diag report and post here in the forum. Next I would take the results along with the software and visit the store. Show them the results and ask for your monies back and/or genuine software. Also you may submit a piracy report. Here you will be given specific instructions along where to mail the software you have to MS for us to analyze. You may be eligible for free copies should the software be found as high counterfiet.  If you have further questions please feel free to re-post.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

OGA Forum Manager

Tuesday, July 3, 2007 10:41 PM
  • Stephen,

The error code I posted is not a Volume Licensing Key. it is an error code generated by the tool that does the validation. I have worked in environments that use volume licensing. This is not a volume license but a legally purchased single user license of Office 2007 from Best Buy.

I just know that the validation process is causing a lot of people with legal copies headaches. I did some more research and the forum is full with people who have the same error code. Reality is that the validation process is buggy and legal copies of Office are not validated correctly. Unfortunately the procedures posted to fix the problem are only for XP and 2000 and not for Vista.

I just ran the validation again and now I suddenly have a genuine copy of Office....Microsoft needs to stop using end users as Beta tester.

Wednesday, July 4, 2007 2:42 AM
  • Anonymous-2

The 2007 Office programs take full advantage of the self-repairing features that are offered by Microsoft Windows Installer.  If a resource that you must have to start a 2007 Office program is missing, such as a file or a registry key, the Windows Installer detects the missing resource and repairs the program.  The following Knowledge Article (KB):  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/924614/en-us describes how the repair process in the 2007 Microsoft Office system programs works.  Additionally, this article lists step-by-step methods that describe how you can use the repair process in the 2007 Office programs.

Also can you please run the diagnostic test and post your results here for us to analyze. 

Thank you

Stephen Holm
    OGA Forum Manager

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 12:52 AM