MS Money99 updating to newer version RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I have MSmoney99 and am trying to update to MS2005 version but not going well. I can get the info from checkbook in 2005 but it does not give me where I can put a check in,only withdrawal. I did not know about the free version back in 2004 and can not find it on the web.
    Wednesday, November 18, 2015 4:46 AM

All replies

• I'd like to help but I need some more information.  Specifically, what do you mean by "it does not give me where I can put a check in,only withdrawal."

- Are you able to open you able to open your Money.mny file with the Money 2005 program that you installed?

- When you go to your checking account register do you see all your past transactions?

- Near the top of the Account Register there is "View:" with a  drop-down menu.  When you click that drop-down have you selected "Use forms to Enter transactions"?

- If so, do you see a form at the bottom of the register screen with tabs for "Withdrawal", "Deposit", and "Transfer"?

- What happens if you select the "Withdrawal" tab to write a check or the "Deposit" tab to deposit a check?

Bill Becker

Wednesday, November 18, 2015 1:34 PM
  • Hi, I have MSmoney99 and am trying to update to MS2005 version but not going well. I can get the info from checkbook in 2005 but it does not give me where I can put a check in,only withdrawal. I did not know about the free version back in 2004 and can not find it on the web.
    If you are in North America, you should probably not be trying to switch to Money 2005. I figure you might be, because you are trying to enter a check instead of a cheque. :-)
    Thursday, November 19, 2015 2:48 AM
  • hi I downloaded 5 because I could not find 2004 trial version anywhere on the internet, which MS gave apparently gave out free but I was unaware until now. Im just trying to get to plus sunset eventually because 99 has given me trouble lately.

I downloaded version 14.0.6.1105 and its in English so I thought it should work.

• Edited by Bobm202 Thursday, November 19, 2015 3:18 AM
    Thursday, November 19, 2015 3:15 AM
  •  you- Are you able to open you able to open your Money.mny file with the Money 2005 program that you installed?

me, yes I had to use qif though.

you- When you go to your checking account register do you see all your past transactions?

me, Yes but I have a PMA savings and one or the other always  gets increased by 5 times the amoun but each checkis there. I also have a special saving attach but that seems ok each time

you- Near the top of the Account Register there is "View:" with a  drop-down menu.  When you click that drop-down have you selected "Use forms to Enter transactions"?

me, yes that has a bullet in it.

you - If so, do you see a form at the bottom of the register screen with tabs for "Withdrawal", "Deposit", and "Transfer"?

me, yes

you- What happens if you select the "Withdrawal" tab to write a check or the "Deposit" tab to deposit a check?

me, ahh so they did away with the word check, I see it now.

I used 99 for 16 years as a checkbook and got used to seeing the word Check. The program did not auto recognize my files but did change the icons but I could not open them so I used qif. I only have $383 in checking and $15.00 in PMA savings and $1.53 in Special saving which are all linked to work with each other. Problem I have had for days is either checking or PMA  account would show over $574,668, boy do I wish for that!In the PMa I had many going into a deleted account for some reason.

I tried to only bring each one separately over but they always show up together when trying to do them separately.

Should 2005 automatically have asked me to update the files. My wife has about 10 files in one account so not sure if that is part of the problem.

I downloaded version 14.0.6.1105 and its in English so I thought it should work.

• Edited by Bobm202 Thursday, November 19, 2015 3:43 AM
    Thursday, November 19, 2015 3:42 AM
  • OK, it seems that you are in the US and were using a US version of Money 99.  I would try this simple approach:

- Uninstall Money 2005

- Download and install US Money Deluxe Sunset as described in the second "sticky" thread in this forum:

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/479281b2-90f9-42ca-85f7-644fc6e1e5c3/download-microsoft-money-installation-files-solve-activation-and-some-other-errors?forum=money

- Double-click on your Money.mny file to open it with Money Sunset.

Money sunset should convert your file to the current format and you should see all your data intact.

If, instead, you receive an error message, post back with exactly what the message is.

If by any chance you are using Windows XP or Windows 10, you need to do an additional step.  Post back for help with that.

Once you are up and running, be sure that you have good backup procedures in place.  Money Sunset has much better capabilities in that respect than Money 99.  Start a new thread if you need details on a good backup system.

Bill Becker

Thursday, November 19, 2015 4:21 AM
  • Hi, for two days now I tried importing just one of the three files separately but they always came together and messed things up in one or the other account, either money wise or transactions. I finally was able to create three different files with only each one in them. This took about 20 try's though before succeeding.  I then was able to import each one and Presto, all was well.  So I think temporarily I'm going to see how 2005 goes before moving up to Plus Sunset.

Are you running Sunset? If so is it better and stable? Does it do whatever 2005 does or is it stripped down, being free?

• Edited by Bobm202 Thursday, November 19, 2015 5:36 AM
    Thursday, November 19, 2015 5:30 AM
  • Glad to hear that you have Money 2005 working for you.

I agree that doing a qif export of your data from Money 99 and then importing those files into your version of Money 2005 is a lot of work.  You should have been able to open your Money.mny file with that version of Money 2005 without needing to go through the qif export/import.  

I suspect that the version of Money 2005 that you have has some limitations that are not present in later versions.  I am using US Money Sunset Deluxe and am very happy with it.  It has all the capabilities of Money 2005 along with a few extra things.

If you decide to upgrade to Sunset and are running Windows XP or Windows 10, be sure to replace your mnyob99.dll file as described in the first "sticky" post in this forum:

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/d28d6921-1f01-430f-b33e-f5a3ec47077b/important-patch-for-money-plus-maybe-20062007-mnyob99dll?forum=money

Bill Becker

Thursday, November 19, 2015 2:32 PM
  • Hi, I am running win7 professional 32 bit so not sure what if anything I need to do before upgrading to sunset. I am having trouble getting 2 small loans over . What is a simple loan called in money 2005 version because it would be easier doing it that way and put in manually at this point.
    Friday, November 20, 2015 12:29 AM
  • With Windows 7 you can just download Sunset and install it.  You don't need to replace the mnyob99,dll with a patched version.  But there is no harm in doing that replacement and doing so will ensure that Money continues to work if you upgrade to Windows 10.

I'm not sure what you mean by "getting 2 small loans over".  If the loans are in Money 2005, then when you install Sunset and use it to open your Money.mny file, the loans will come over with the rest of your data.  If you have not yet entered the loans in Money, look at "Add a New Account", "Choose an account type" and pick "Loan" from the list.  Money will walk you through the creation process.  This assumes that you want to set up a loan that you are taking out.  If you are loaning money to another person, then one approach is to set up an asset account called "Loan to XXX".  Then, as the loan is paid back, transfer the amount of the payments to your checking account.

A good reference for loans in Money is here: http://money.mvps.org/faq/loans.aspx

Bill Becker

• Edited by Bill Becker Friday, November 20, 2015 2:24 AM Added reference.
    Friday, November 20, 2015 2:23 AM
  • Hi, I had to redo the 2 loans manually. 99 to 2005 does not always transfer fine . I had to fix many transactions in different IRA accounts and bring each account into its own file first and delete others, then export the one  I wanted then import two or three of whatever I wanted in that file and most files were 90% ok. Never had problems like this in any other software in 30 years of computing

I do notice that 2005 crashes when I try to put a check in retirement account and I sometimes can not move the window unless I resize it a bit first, but I can live with those until I get to Sunset version. No wonder Microsoft dropped Money. Thanks for the help though.

• Edited by Bobm202 Friday, November 20, 2015 6:58 AM
    Friday, November 20, 2015 6:46 AM
  • hi I downloaded 5 because I could not find 2004 trial version anywhere on the internet, which MS gave apparently gave out free but I was unaware until now. Im just trying to get to plus sunset eventually because 99 has given me trouble lately.

If your Money 99 was from the US, Money 2005 should not work for you.
    Friday, November 20, 2015 1:20 PM
  • Ah, yes.  Cal makes a good point.  If you downloaded and installed the UK version of Money 2005 from the second "sticky" thread in this forum, that would explain why you are having so much trouble.  The UK Money program would not open a US Money file and you would be forced to to use the qif export and import process.  And if you are really running the UK version of Money then you won't be able to open your Money.mny file with US Sunset.  The file format are not compatible.  You would have to repeat all the qif export and import.

However, if you actually have a US version of Money 2005, then you should be able to move to US Sunset with no issues.

Please let us know how you make out.

Bill Becker

Friday, November 20, 2015 1:32 PM
  •  Bobm202, if your Money 99 file is from the US, say so. You don't seem to be following the effects of the regional thing.

Bobm202, look for a file with extension .mn7. That would be a copy of your Money 99 file. Keep an extra copy onto other media.

If you are in the US, try opening that *.mn7 file with Sunset, or copy that *.mn7 file to a *.mny name and proceed as with Bill's second reply above.

Money Sunset does need the patched mnyob99.dll , even if you use Windows 7. It may be that the current updates of Windows 7 might not cause the bug to be obvious, but the next update might lead to some noticeably bad behavior.

Friday, November 20, 2015 2:05 PM
  • Hi I got the version from an article on the web that said use 2005 first then 2004 if 5 does not work. There is nothing telling me anywhere if it is UK or French or Eng version, only version 14.0.6.1105 and program is in English so I'm Lost as to weather this may be the problem. If MS left 2004 on the web I would have been done days ago. I have about 20 accounts I'm trying to convert here.
    Friday, November 20, 2015 2:33 PM
  • Hi I got the version from an article on the web that said use 2005 first then 2004 if 5 does not work. There is nothing telling me anywhere if it is UK or French or Eng version, only version 14.0.6.1105 and program is in English so I'm Lost as to weather this may be the problem. If MS left 2004 on the web I would have been done days ago. I have about 20 accounts I'm trying to convert here.

You sound like you are trying to make a point.

Were you in the US, Canada, UK, Australia or where when you got Money 99?

Friday, November 20, 2015 2:40 PM
  • Hi, I live in US and I bought the US version of 1999 money so my files for 99 are US. and it was the OEM version 7. but cannot get in to verify the file you are asking about until this evening.

Now not sure what 14.0.6.1105 is now but another thread thought that the version was US. Can't seem to find any info on version on the Internet or don't know where to look :)

I have two computers ,one which still has  all 99 files on it but cannot reach it until evenings because some else is using it daily. This computer at home is where I'm working with 2005, so I can get things right before I ruin the real 99 files.

• Edited by Bobm202 Friday, November 20, 2015 3:07 PM
    Friday, November 20, 2015 2:54 PM
  • There is no version of Money 2005 that I know of  available for download that will convert a Money 99 US file.

I suggest that you install Money Plus Deluxe Sunset onto the new computer using the link in what is currently the second post in this forum, or the link in https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2118008

Close Money if it is open.

Then apply the patch by replacing the mnyob99.dll file as described in the first post in this forum.

Copy your Money file  that is up to date and known to be from your working Money 99 install to your Documents folder. Open Money by right-clicking that Money file from Money 99 (from Windows Explorer). Ideally Money Deluxe Sunset will convert the file, and leave a *.mn7 file in your Documents folder as well as the converted *.mny file.  This could take a while.

If there is a problem, then some workaround action may be needed. Let's hope it goes smoothly. I don't know where you might currently  find one of the files that could serve as an intermediate. It might help the conversion if you could do the conversion on a machine running 32-bit windows, but I don't know. I would not do anything to mess up your working Money 99 installation until you are sure you can run Money successfully on the new computer.

https://social.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/6b7ffb67-58df-460f-8fd3-26ba17ca1e54/money-2004-trial-download-on-waybackmachineorg will be interesting. I cannot be sure that file is good myself. I did download that just now and found this fvic result: 
                   MD5                                                       SHA-1
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1c62413858e2184eb39862f1b2afba44    135af19b7132777661c2714599e9793839bedd77 
    I cannot find those hash values from old references, but neither did I record a different hash back then. I think that was gone before I started recording hashes. I did check the file with Sigcheck v2.30 - File version and signature viewer, and it looks good to me.

Friday, November 20, 2015 3:42 PM
  • Cal and Bobm202,

I poked around a bit and found that Money 2005 version 14.0.6.1105 is still available from a link is this web site:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913108

which describes how to use that "intermediate" version to convert from Money 99 to Sunset.  So it seems that Bobm202 has the correct version but is not having any luck is using it with his Money 99 file.  The unanswered question is:

- what happens if Bobm202 opens Money 2005 and then selects File>Open and navigates to his the Money.mny file that he has been using with Money 99?

It should open the file and then convert it to the Money 2005 format.  Then Money Sunset should be able to open the converted file with no issues.

And, as Cal notes, this may not be necessary because Money Sunset may be able to open the Money 99 file without the intermediate step.

I would also like to reinforce Cal's advice about making backups of the Money 99 file.  Store at least one copy on different media (DVD, Cd or flash drive) so that if you accidentally overwrite a good file you will have a way to recover.

Bill Becker

• Edited by Bill Becker Friday, November 20, 2015 4:14 PM typo
    Friday, November 20, 2015 4:13 PM
  • Hi Both machines are win7 professional 32 bit. I think at this point I need to verify if my 2005 version is a US version. It came from a diff site than yours so if anyone out there knows what 14.0.6.1105 is it would save me a lot of repeat grieve.
    Friday, November 20, 2015 4:16 PM
  • Hi Both machines are win7 professional 32 bit. I think at this point I need to verify if my 2005 version is a US version. It came from a diff site than yours so if anyone out there knows what 14.0.6.1105 is it would save me a lot of repeat grieve.

A way to determine what geographic version of Microsoft Money that you have
    installed is to look in the "MNYCoreFiles\Work" folder for the *.aw file(s).

If the installation is UK, the file will be MNYUKEN.AW.  If it is
    INTL English, it will have several files all starting with MNYEN.
    The file for US would be MNYUSEN.AW.  So, to summarize, the 4th and
    5th letters tell the story, UK, EN or US. Later US versions also should
    work for Canada.

If you installed Money 2005 in the default folder on C:, you could run
    this command, including the quotation marks, in a command window:
    dir  "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money 2005\MNYCoreFiles\Works\*.aw"

Otherwise browse in Windows Explorer. You may have to modify the
    settings of Windows Explorer to show hidden files and folders.

For International, the files are
    MNYENDA.aw
    MNYENEN.aw
    MNYENES.aw
    MNYENFI.aw
    MNYENNO.aw
    MNYENSV.aw

=================================

Bill, nice find that http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913108 still has the working link.

Friday, November 20, 2015 4:51 PM
  • Cal, thanks for the information on how to determine the geographic version of Money.  

I installed version 14.0.6.1105 on my test machine.  For some reason there is no Works subfolder in MNYCoreFiles.  And a search of the drive did not turn up and .aw files at all.  I then created a test file and tried some operations.  The banking features seem to work fine, but when I go to Reports or Taxes, I get a message that Money need to download an update to enable this feature.  I didn't try that, - my test machine is not connected to the internet just now, - but it seems clear that this version is different from the normal Money 2005.  Maybe it's just intended for a file conversion rather than as a finished product?

There is a lengthy "Read Me" file with tips on such things as getting Money 2005 to work with Windows 98 (!), but nothing on the limitations of this version.

It would be interesting to see if it will read file created with non-US version of Money but I neither the test files nor the time right now to investigate.

Bill Becker

Friday, November 20, 2015 11:13 PM
  • Bill, try this in a command window:

dir /a /s \*.aw

Saturday, November 21, 2015 1:04 AM
  • YOU - what happens if Bobm202 opens Money 2005 and then selects File>Open and navigates to his the Money.mny file that he has been using with Money 99?

Me It did not recognize the file.

• Edited by Bobm202 Saturday, November 21, 2015 6:27 AM
    Saturday, November 21, 2015 2:13 AM
  • Hi, I see no Works folder either so I'm going to get the last few files out get them as close as I can then save them off computer and take off 2005 and try a 99 file after loading Sunset. I have to go to court Monday and my wife is going in for eye surgery on Tuesday and I'm very busy thisweekend but I will get back to let you nice people how I make out
    Saturday, November 21, 2015 2:36 AM
  • When you say "it did not recognize the file", what do you mean?  What error message did you receive?

Best wishes with your court appearance and you wife's eye surgery.  Get back to us when you have time.

Bill Becker

Saturday, November 21, 2015 4:24 AM
  • it says it may be corrupted or is not a money file.
    Saturday, November 21, 2015 6:25 AM
  • Hi, I uninstalled 1999, restarted then uninstalled 2005 rebooted then installed Sunset and then patched Sunset with the mnyob99.dll file.

I then right clicked and also double clicked but same message I got in 2005 says it might be a corrupted file or is not a money file ;(

Any Ideas for Sunset before I try 2004?

• Edited by Bobm202 Saturday, November 21, 2015 6:32 AM
    Saturday, November 21, 2015 6:32 AM
  • Are you sure that the file you tried to open is a copy from your working Money 99 file, rather than one touched by your Money 2005 adventure?

Find any *.mn7 file. This search from a command window would take a while:

dir /a /s \*.mn7

Sunday, November 22, 2015 1:13 AM
  • Yes I deleted 99 and 2005 and removed all money files from computer. I have 99 files on a CD
    Sunday, November 22, 2015 1:57 AM
  • Files on a CD are made Read only.  Copy the file to the Documents folder on your computer.  Then secondary click on that file in Windows Explorer and select Properties.  If the Read Only attribute is checked, in check it and click OK.  Then in Windows Explorer double click on that file and see if it works.

• Edited by bobjbkln Sunday, November 22, 2015 4:24 AM
    Sunday, November 22, 2015 4:22 AM
  • I know all this, Thank You. what I asked was: Any Ideas for Sunset before I try 2004?
    Sunday, November 22, 2015 1:44 PM
  • Hi, Hopefully the following might save someone days of grief.

Never mind about Sunset, going from 99 files to Sunset or 2005 version simply did not work.  After taking off Sunset and all Money files from the computer I rebooted and the set computer clock back to a date in 2004, brought in my 99 files and then executed 2004 Trial version and in 10 minutes, not 4 days all my files were updated one at a time into 2004 and all but one were fine. The one account that did not transfer was a old Ira account that was named retirement account that was closed but I reopened it before transferring but I think the computer saw that I moved the money to a retirement Brokerage account and maybe somehow saw the account had a balance of  zero in it.

Money 2004 version only works when date is set back to 2004 year for some strange reason.

1... So now I need to Take off MS Money 2004 And Install Sunset. DO I leave computer at 2004 yr or move date forward to 2015 to uninstall 2004 version or does it not matter?

2.. Or can I just load Sunset  in 2015 yr and will Sunset just disable 2004?

• Edited by Bobm202 Sunday, November 22, 2015 5:00 PM
    Sunday, November 22, 2015 4:57 PM
  • You should be able to install Sunset without uninstalling 2004.  I would set the computer date forward before doing that.  Then open Sunset and try opening the 2004 file.  Crossed fingers and a "knock on wood" might also be appropriate.

BTW, where did you find Money 2004?  What version does it show when you do Help>About?

If you finally get Sunset working with this process I am sure that others can benefit from your hard work.

Bill Becker

Sunday, November 22, 2015 8:24 PM
  • I already set the date to 2015. The version was found right here in another thread. It lets one download a trial version number 12 for US., but you must send your computer back to 2004 to use it for some reason or it will not work.
    Sunday, November 22, 2015 9:49 PM
  • To save others the search, Bobm202 found this link:

http://web.archive.org/web/20070216014147/http://download.microsoft.com/download/d/b/7/db72d4e0-fbd1-4b76-bfa0-1ff20f6aec8d/m12usweb.exe

as described in this post:

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/6b7ffb67-58df-460f-8fd3-26ba17ca1e54/money-2004-trial-download-on-waybackmachineorg?forum=money

The original Microsoft download site no longer exists, but the above link is where it is archived on the WaybackMachine, an internet archive.

Bobm202, - Please let us know if this finally enables you to get your Money 99 file into Sunset.

Bill Becker

Sunday, November 22, 2015 10:54 PM
  • Hi, Going from 99 to 2005 or Sunset was a big waste of time for me. Now everything is perfect and  had I done it one after the other would have taken about 1.5 hours to go from 99 to 2004 to Sunset and transfer 20 accounts .

I did have the luxury of having the 99 files on another computer at work so verifying start and ends totals of each account was fast for me using go to my pc.

So, to hopefully help others, go to the link above this post  to get 2004 version US and back up your 99 files to CD or removable device before starting. Turn your computer clock back in time to 2004 year because the 2004 trial only has a 30 day trial. After doing this install 2004 then go to your file or files in my documents  and right click and choose open and the program converts your account. Repeat for each account. I then saved my 2004 to a Cd just in case. I rebooted and then installed Sunset version US (For US ONLY)and it asked if I wanted to get rid of 2004 and I selected yes and it uninstalls 2004 before it installs Sunset. Go to your file or files in my documents  and right click and choose open and the program converts your account. Repeat for each account. Don't forget to verify at least the start and end totals of each account to make sure all looks fine.

Monday, November 23, 2015 3:51 AM
  • Bob, nice going, and thanks for the report of your techniques toward success. The thing about turning the computer clock back will be particularly useful to those who follow your lead.

One thing: I think you have your accounts in different files. Most people use one file with multiple accounts, so they would only have one file to open each step.

Monday, November 23, 2015 1:44 PM
  • Hi, Yes you can have one file with everything in it but if the file gets corrupt it can be a nightmare to recreate multiple accounts :).  I was getting a few 99 files not opening but the backups saved my tail and this was the reason I wanted to update to Sunset. Hopefully a better file system MS created.

The problem with multiple accounts in one file was for example My checking, my money market  and my special savings were all linked together but when I tried to use QIF format for exporting the file in 99 one or the other accounts were always doubling or tripling the amounts and catagories were getting mixed up.  The 2004 trial is the only way to update in my opinion after wasting about 15 hours before getting 2004 trial.

• Edited by Bobm202 Monday, November 23, 2015 3:13 PM
    Monday, November 23, 2015 3:00 PM
  • Hi, Yes you can have one file with everything in it but if the file gets corrupt it can be a nightmare to recreate multiple accounts :).  I was getting a few 99 files not opening but the backups saved my tail and this was the reason I wanted to update to Sunset. Hopefully a better file system MS created.

The problem with multiple accounts in one file was for example My checking, my money market  and my special savings were all linked together but when I tried to use QIF format for exporting the file in 99 one or the other accounts were always doubling or tripling the amounts and catagories were getting mixed up.  The 2004 trial is the only way to update in my opinion after wasting about 15 hours before getting 2004 trial.

When you have separate files, a transfer between accounts, such as from a checking account to pay the credit card bill, needs to be entered into both accounts.

When you do a QIF import to recover accounts, you should import all of the separate QIF files at once. Then Money should look at the accounts to find transactions with the same amount and date, and turn them into transfers. Now paying a credit card bill would usually have a different date for the checking account than for the payment at the credit card account, so I doubt that Money recognizes that. I have never actually done that QIF recovery for real accounts.

QIF recovery has other quirks. Stock symbols are not saved, comes to mind, but there is a lot of other stuff that does not come across.

I, as do most people, combine accounts into a single file. However I maintain parallel Money files on separate computers, as well as keeping multiple versions of backup. A big advantage of Sunset vs 2005 and earlier is that Money will, by default, keep the latest 4 upon-exit and 4 scheduled backups. The date+time is incorporated in the filename. You can change that quantity in the settings. I suggest increasing the number if you have ample disk space. 4 is actually a very nice default. 1 would be a bad number, because if a file got corrupted badly, you would overwrite your only good backup when you did your backup.

I make my scheduled backups to a USB flash drive in case the hard drive fails.

I use PocketSense to download OFX statements. I really like that. PocketSense would be much harder to use with separate files, because it works with the open file. I also use MSMoneyQuotes. That would be easy to use with multiple Money files, because you can choose on the command line to specify which Money file to bring the quotes into. So you could have a batch file that could feed quotes to more than one file. You could even have the Windows scheduler invoke the batch file.
    Monday, November 23, 2015 3:51 PM
  • YOU:When you have separate files, a transfer between accounts, such as from a checking account to pay the credit card bill, needs to be entered into both accounts.

ME: I tried in 99 to QIF the files to 3 different Files get each one right then imprt them back into 2005 and things were ok in some accounts but not the checking,  PMA or savings. I only had $646. in checking and when I did this either the checking or PMA had $555,000. I can only guess the different file system caused the failure. After doing this afew times it final came in right but too many other accounts the info was right but the transfers were all messed up.

YOU:When you do a QIF import to recover accounts, you should import all of the separate QIF files at once. Then Money should look at the accounts to find transactions with the same amount and date, and turn them into transfers. Now paying a credit card bill would usually have a different date for the checking account than for the payment at the credit card account, so I doubt that Money recognizes that. I have never actually done that QIF recovery for real accounts.

Me: I tried that but was not able to bring in more than one account at a time once they are separated into 3 files

YOU:QIF recovery has other quirks. Stock symbols are not saved, comes to mind, but there is a lot of other stuff that does not come across.

ME:Some accounts were ok but many the transfers were messed up and would take a long time to fix.

YOU:I, as do most people, combine accounts into a single file. However I maintain parallel Money files on separate computers, as well as keeping multiple versions of backup. A big advantage of Sunset vs 2005 and earlier is that Money will, by default, keep the latest 4 upon-exit and 4 scheduled backups. The date+time is incorporated in the filename. You can change that quantity in the settings. I suggest increasing the number if you have ample disk space. 4 is actually a very nice default. 1 would be a bad number, because if a file got corrupted badly, you would overwrite your only good backup when you did your backup.

Me: I set it to 2 because in my WD MY BOOk backup I do 2 also.

I make my scheduled backups to a USB flash drive in case the hard drive fails.

Me: not a bad Idea. Because I have 2 computers at different locations about 4 times a year I will pull over the whole folder through go to my pc program which only takes 5 minites.

I use PocketSense to download OFX statements. I really like that. PocketSense would be much harder to use with separate files, because it works with the open file. I also use MSMoneyQuotes. That would be easy to use with multiple Money files, because you can choose on the command line to specify which Money file to bring the quotes into. So you could have a batch file that could feed quotes to more than one file. You could even have the Windows scheduler invoke the batch file.

ME: I really don't have that much free time these days so I'm just hoping Sunset is as good as MS Money was all those years so I do not have to go thru this again:).

• Edited by Bobm202 Monday, November 23, 2015 7:40 PM
    Monday, November 23, 2015 7:38 PM