Advice on hardware configuration RRS feed

• Question

• I'm specing out a new server (currently using a laptop as a test bed up until RC1. With RTM coming out I want real hardware for my server). On hard drive configuration, would it be better to have a Raptor 150 X drive and second drive which is larger than the raptor. I know WHS is looking to have the largest drive be where the system drive resides. So would a raptor buy me anything, or would it be better to spend the money on two large drives (I'm looking at two 1TB GreenPower Drives from WD).

Sunday, August 26, 2007 11:31 PM

Answers

• An ultra fast drive will have a small effect on WHS performance when it comes time to balancs files to external drives. Otherwise, you'll see no benefit, because just about any drive out there will saturate a gigabit ethernet connection. So you'd be better off buying a larger drive for your primary; it'll give you benefits that you'll actually see on a daily basis.
    Monday, August 27, 2007 12:01 AM
  • At least 2 drives, Three drives is better if you intend on folder duplication. As the others have said the larger the system drive the better as that is a factor in determining your maxium file transfer rate.

Thanks,

Bryan
    Monday, August 27, 2007 3:13 PM
  • Because of the way WHS balances files across physical drives, I would recommend a minimum of 3 physical drives in any permanent configuration. I found out the hard way when one of my 2 physical drives failed that you're going to essentially be down until you replace the failed drive unless you have 3 drives and plenty of free space. Possibly unrelated, I also lost all of my backup sets when I did get the drive replaced.

Thursday, August 30, 2007 9:24 PM

All replies

• Hi,

To my personal view, best to spend the money on largest drive as 1TB one, insted on that Raptor that will hardly gain some speed, that will ever be notice.

My best.
    Sunday, August 26, 2007 11:52 PM
  • An ultra fast drive will have a small effect on WHS performance when it comes time to balancs files to external drives. Otherwise, you'll see no benefit, because just about any drive out there will saturate a gigabit ethernet connection. So you'd be better off buying a larger drive for your primary; it'll give you benefits that you'll actually see on a daily basis.
    Monday, August 27, 2007 12:01 AM
  •  

Thanks guys. It's appreciated.

So with duplication set up, is it best to have 3 drives in the system for failover purposes?

Monday, August 27, 2007 3:04 PM
  • At least 2 drives, Three drives is better if you intend on folder duplication. As the others have said the larger the system drive the better as that is a factor in determining your maxium file transfer rate.

Thanks,

Bryan
    Monday, August 27, 2007 3:13 PM
  • Because of the way WHS balances files across physical drives, I would recommend a minimum of 3 physical drives in any permanent configuration. I found out the hard way when one of my 2 physical drives failed that you're going to essentially be down until you replace the failed drive unless you have 3 drives and plenty of free space. Possibly unrelated, I also lost all of my backup sets when I did get the drive replaced.

Thursday, August 30, 2007 9:24 PM
  • Thanks, guys. I think I'll be going with 3 1TB sata 3gb drives.

Friday, August 31, 2007 4:44 PM