file access problems with long running client processes (i.e. bittorrent, wuala, etc.) RRS feed

• Question

• I've been running WHS for several years now with only minor issues. A problem which wasn't too big of a deal a while back has now become more of a pain.

I run uTorrent on a Windows 7 box and point it at a WHS share (e.g. \\server\bittorrent). Downloading works great but seeding something for anything longer than 12-24 hours does not work. uTorrent thinks the file has disappeared. Watching the process with procmon shows lots of CreateFile requests that succeed and then all of a sudden fail implying that WHS did something that made the file temporarily unavailable.

I have the same problem with the online storage application Wuala. It is a Java based app that connects to a grid storage environment for backup and sharing. I have the same setup with WHS (e.g. data files stored at \\server\wuala). Wuala has several database files that I assume it keeps open continuously. After a while, I see InvalidHandle exceptions that imply the underlying file is no longer available.

Both the Wuala share and the Bittorrent share has folder duplication disabled.

Any ideas?

Thank!

Jonathan
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 3:26 AM

Answers

• I've been running WHS for several years now with only minor issues. A problem which wasn't too big of a deal a while back has now become more of a pain.

I run uTorrent on a Windows 7 box and point it at a WHS share (e.g. \\server\bittorrent). Downloading works great but seeding something for anything longer than 12-24 hours does not work. uTorrent thinks the file has disappeared. Watching the process with procmon shows lots of CreateFile requests that succeed and then all of a sudden fail implying that WHS did something that made the file temporarily unavailable.

I have the same problem with the online storage application Wuala. It is a Java based app that connects to a grid storage environment for backup and sharing. I have the same setup with WHS (e.g. data files stored at \\server\wuala). Wuala has several database files that I assume it keeps open continuously. After a while, I see InvalidHandle exceptions that imply the underlying file is no longer available.

If you're getting File Conflict errors after 24 hours, that's because (as you suspected) the file is left open continuously, which means WHS can't do anything with the file (move it, duplicate it if necessary, etc).  If that is the case, you should stop the application for at least 1 hour a day (WHS does passes over the data every hour).

Now if the file is just flat-out disappearing, that's entirely different.  You might want to run chkdsk on each drive in your server.  See the FAQ post:  How to check all the drives in your server for errors for details.

Any ideas?

Thank!

Jonathan

Tuesday, January 19, 2010 3:43 AM
    As far as starting and stopping applications every 24 hours... that is not really a valid solution. It kind of defeats the purpose of having backup software or anything else that runs continuously.
    It's a workaround, not a solution. My recommendation would be to set up a couple of scheduled tasks that will stop the software holding files open on your server, then a couple of hours later start it back up.

And to answer your question, yes Drive Extender still needs to access files periodically even if they aren't duplicated.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Wednesday, January 20, 2010 2:46 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by kungf00 Saturday, January 23, 2010 12:39 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jonas Svensson -FST- Tuesday, February 9, 2010 1:05 AM
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 4:48 PM

All replies

If you're getting File Conflict errors after 24 hours, that's because (as you suspected) the file is left open continuously, which means WHS can't do anything with the file (move it, duplicate it if necessary, etc).  If that is the case, you should stop the application for at least 1 hour a day (WHS does passes over the data every hour).

Now if the file is just flat-out disappearing, that's entirely different.  You might want to run chkdsk on each drive in your server.  See the FAQ post:  How to check all the drives in your server for errors for details.

Any ideas?

Thank!

Jonathan

Tuesday, January 19, 2010 3:43 AM
  • I'm only getting File Conflict on a few of the files. On other ones it is just intermittently is not available.

I should have been more clear on the uTorrent issue. Once uTorrent fails to open a file, it marks it as unavailable. I can manually tell it to try again and then it will be good for another 24ish hours.

As far as starting and stopping applications every 24 hours... that is not really a valid solution. It kind of defeats the purpose of having backup software or anything else that runs continuously.

Neither of these shares have folder duplication enabled. Does the drive extender service still need to periodically make a fail unavailable while moving it?

Thanks!

Jonathan

PS. I just realized that I am still running Power Pack 3 Beta. I'll try swapping that out and updating...
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 5:57 AM
    It's a workaround, not a solution. My recommendation would be to set up a couple of scheduled tasks that will stop the software holding files open on your server, then a couple of hours later start it back up.

And to answer your question, yes Drive Extender still needs to access files periodically even if they aren't duplicated.

• Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Wednesday, January 20, 2010 2:46 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by kungf00 Saturday, January 23, 2010 12:39 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jonas Svensson -FST- Tuesday, February 9, 2010 1:05 AM
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 4:48 PM
  • Do you really need all the files within the storage pool? Can you attach a separate drive to act as a data store for those frequently accessed files?
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 11:41 PM
  • Do you really need all the files within the storage pool? Can you attach a separate drive to act as a data store for those frequently accessed files?
    I could add additional storage to my workstation rather than use it in the WHS storage pool, but that seems to be what WHS was designed for. I've been using WHS as my location for storing anything where the size is subject to significant future growth (e.g. iTunes, Bittorrent, Amazon on demand, ripped DVDs and backups).
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 4:54 AM

Maybe I need to write a little program to test under exactly what conditions DE causes problems.
    - open a file on WHS and continuously test to see if you can read/write (i.e. is the handle valid)
    - open and close a file on WHS every second to see if the availability is less than 100%
    - do both over a 48 hour period on duplicated and non-duplicated folders

DE shouldn't prevent either of these tests. If it does, then WHS isn't really sharing a folder that obeys the basic rules of a file system.
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 5:00 AM