Server Re-Installation RRS feed

• Question

• My home server has died.  I noticed on bootup that smart drive says one of the drives is bad, but the one time I could get it to reboot, the home server screen says all 4 of the drives are good.  I started trying to remove the drive smart drive said was bad but about a 1/3 of the way thru, the computer just hung. 

After about an hour, I then tried re-booting but it errors out with no boot device available.  Thinking I could do a server reinstallation, I put in the CD and booted off it, but I do not get an option to reinstall.  The only option available is a new installation.  I clicked the new installation once and the next screen only shows 2 of my 4 drives and then stops waiting for me to choose which drive to install it on.  My drives are all SATA drives, 2 each Maxtor, 2 each Seagate.  Smart drive says one the Seagate drives is bad.  Appears one of the Maxtor drives has the OP system, at least that one has the microsoft logo on it. 

Guess my only option is to do a new install when I get time.  I wonder if my problem could also be a hardware problem.

James
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 12:25 AM

All replies

• JamesDel said:

My home server has died.  I noticed on bootup that smart drive says one of the drives is bad, but the one time I could get it to reboot, the home server screen says all 4 of the drives are good.  I started trying to remove the drive smart drive said was bad but about a 1/3 of the way thru, the computer just hung. 

After about an hour, I then tried re-booting but it errors out with no boot device available.  Thinking I could do a server reinstallation, I put in the CD and booted off it, but I do not get an option to reinstall.  The only option available is a new installation.  I clicked the new installation once and the next screen only shows 2 of my 4 drives and then stops waiting for me to choose which drive to install it on.

No, WHS never asks you which drive to install it on.  Most likely you are referring to the Load Additional Storage Drivers screen (which is before the installation selection screen).  Make sure you add the drivers for any controller cards you are using so WHS can see all of the drives.  You should get Server Reinstallation at that point (and if you don't, you probably need to re-organize your SATA drives so that the primary drive is connected to the first SATA port on the mobo).

JamesDel said:

My drives are all SATA drives, 2 each Maxtor, 2 each Seagate.  Smart drive says one the Seagate drives is bad.  Appears one of the Maxtor drives has the OP system, at least that one has the microsoft logo on it. 

Guess my only option is to do a new install when I get time.  I wonder if my problem could also be a hardware problem.

James

Wednesday, March 25, 2009 12:56 AM