none
Windows Home Server 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• I am having problems trying to setup the Remote Connection in the Server, I have a D-Link DSL 2680 Router, but can't get it to setup. Has anyone managed to setup this router with Server software.
    Friday, October 12, 2012 5:31 PM

Answers

All replies

• Are you saying WHS can't set it up with UPnP? If so try doing it manually forwarding Port 443 and optionally Port 80 to ideally a fixed IP address (on lour LAN) for your Server.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Friday, October 12, 2012 5:56 PM
  • The router does not have UPnP as standard, I manually set ports 443, port 80 and port 4125, also set static ip address for server, but the router hangs when rebooted and internet connection is lost, had to reset router. When I checked again, the port forwarding was still set to the ports I had configured, but still the WHS could not set up to the router.
    Friday, October 12, 2012 8:22 PM
  • You do not need Port 4125 with WHS 2011. After you port forward, that will not help WHS set up the router, it is instead of WHS doing that - have you tried accessing your site from the Internet (outside of your local LAN)?

As for the router hanging, does it continue to do so?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Saturday, October 13, 2012 1:06 PM
  • Have just tried to access the site, with no success. On reading the documentation on the website, it said to manual port forward, then click on repair in WHS, I did this with no success, it gets so far through the process then reports failure to connect. I tried rebooting the router again, but it loses it's internet connection, so I then turn the router off then back on again, to remake the connection.
    Saturday, October 13, 2012 2:25 PM
  • Try running ShieldsUp at www.grc.com to confirm that the Ports are correctly open.

Saturday, October 13, 2012 2:32 PM
  • Did you try accessing the site from  different location than your home?

Not each router supports loopback access (from internal network via external address to internal network). So it may be all works well, but not from within your home.

You could post the url of your site here, so that one of us can check.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Monday, October 15, 2012 3:36 PM
  • Thanks, for all your help, I turned on the upnp in the router advanced settings, remote server now working.

Monday, November 5, 2012 4:25 PM