Is it possible to limit the amount of hours planned per day per resource? RRS feed

• Question

• I wonder if it is possible to limit the amount of hours that can be planned per resource per day. We want to prevent overallocations for our resources and have the system automatically limit the amount of hours that can be planned for a resource per day, this would then also prohibit the red (overallocated) values for planned work per resource. From what I've seen this is not possible with a specific (resource) calendar, hope there is another way to address this.
    Frank Jutte Winvision (http://www.winvision.nl) Project Manager / EPM Consultant
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 11:24 AM

Answers

• Hi Frank

You may want to consider having an embedded VBA Macro in MS Project, which would check allocation from reporting DB, for all resources just for the days they have been assigned in that project and won't allow users to save the project or task alteration unless overallocation is resolved, subjective though there are other things to be considered , but VBA macro could be an easy solution 

Thanks
    Sunil

• Marked as answer by FrankJutte Wednesday, August 18, 2010 7:23 AM
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 12:52 PM
  • Hi Frank,

this is an interesting one. first of all I would try to use what you get out of the box, which is:

- Ensure that the resource calendar and / or Units are maintained per resource ( lets assume it is 8 hours per day)
    - Ensure that your task type is fixed units ( which by default it is)
    - If you need to ensure that the resource is not overallocated when you assign the resource, you could use the automated leveling feature ( by default switched off). If you switch on this feature, MS Project will automatically level the resource once assigned ensuring that the resource in not overallocated, but dont be surprised if the task moves :)

In my personal oppinion I dont believe it is a good idea to automate the leveling, I think you may want to manage overallocation without giving a system the helm :)

I would assign my resources and once you are comfortable with the plan, I would check out the overallocation. Overallocation can be managed in different ways, you can either:

- replace the resouce with another resource to reduce the overallocation
    - accept the overallocation ( that is somethimes required to get a job done)
    - de-scope your work to reduce overallocation
    - extend the time it takes to complete a task ( which by the way, this is the only thing leveling does)

In my experience you do not want to rely on an automated process, but more a resource managment process whereby the data maintained in a Project Server should be the basis of making decisions of resource allocation.

Anyway, technically you can certainly use the automted leveling functionality to ensure that no resource is overallocated.

I hope this helps

Marc Soester [MVP] http://marcsoester.blogspot.com
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 2:42 AM

All replies

• Hi Frank

You may want to consider having an embedded VBA Macro in MS Project, which would check allocation from reporting DB, for all resources just for the days they have been assigned in that project and won't allow users to save the project or task alteration unless overallocation is resolved, subjective though there are other things to be considered , but VBA macro could be an easy solution 

Thanks
    Sunil

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 12:52 PM
  • Hi Frank,

this is an interesting one. first of all I would try to use what you get out of the box, which is:

- Ensure that the resource calendar and / or Units are maintained per resource ( lets assume it is 8 hours per day)
    - Ensure that your task type is fixed units ( which by default it is)
    - If you need to ensure that the resource is not overallocated when you assign the resource, you could use the automated leveling feature ( by default switched off). If you switch on this feature, MS Project will automatically level the resource once assigned ensuring that the resource in not overallocated, but dont be surprised if the task moves :)

In my personal oppinion I dont believe it is a good idea to automate the leveling, I think you may want to manage overallocation without giving a system the helm :)

I would assign my resources and once you are comfortable with the plan, I would check out the overallocation. Overallocation can be managed in different ways, you can either:

- replace the resouce with another resource to reduce the overallocation
    - accept the overallocation ( that is somethimes required to get a job done)
    - de-scope your work to reduce overallocation
    - extend the time it takes to complete a task ( which by the way, this is the only thing leveling does)

In my experience you do not want to rely on an automated process, but more a resource managment process whereby the data maintained in a Project Server should be the basis of making decisions of resource allocation.

Anyway, technically you can certainly use the automted leveling functionality to ensure that no resource is overallocated.

I hope this helps

Marc Soester [MVP] http://marcsoester.blogspot.com
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 2:42 AM
  • Thank you all for your responses, I now have a clear view of what the possibilities are and in what direction we have to think and work things out.
    Frank Jutte Winvision (http://www.winvision.nl) Project Manager / EPM Consultant
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 7:25 AM