How do I turn off "Firewall is off notification ballon"? RRS feed

• Question

•  

I use one care for everything except the firewall which I don't need. Yet I keep getting this annoying warning ballon that it is off. How do I turn that off?

Thanks

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 2:05 AM

Answers

• One Care is intended to be a complete computer protection solution so when the firewall or antivirus is turned off you will get a warning. There is no way to disable this warning.

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 3:00 AM

All replies

• One Care is intended to be a complete computer protection solution so when the firewall or antivirus is turned off you will get a warning. There is no way to disable this warning.

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 3:00 AM
  • Thats a total shame. Even McAfee has that option. If you already have a good firewall you don't need a secondary to do nothing but cause problems.

Windows live OneCare has a better product then McAfee except for that VERY irratating Ballon. So I will continue to run it even with the BALLON FROM HELL.

Ballons are for IDIOTS! When will Microsoft catch a clue that they should be an OPTION only?

Thursday, May 1, 2008 12:02 AM
  • As Jim noted, OneCare is not meant to be a mix and match protection product. The design of OneCare is to provide complete protection, which is why you will get a warning about the firewall being off. If you don't wish to see the warning, then OneCare is not the right product for your needs. May I ask what firewall you are using?

-steve

Thursday, May 1, 2008 12:16 AM
  •  

Stephen

I'm using the Linksys WRT54GS Router. The router also comes with two types of firewalls. One is a Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI) firewall that makes sure packets are part of a legitimate connection; the other is a NAT firewall that effectively hides computers behind the router. You can lock your network down even tighter by configuring the router to block services such as FTP and Telnet. I bought this router when it first came out and disabled all my software firewalls and "knock on wood" haven't had any issuses. Mind you I do run malware, spyware and virus protection.

I know there is  controversy on this subject of what is needed for a home network. But in my experiences with my 4 computers with a print server, secure NAS, phone adapter, and Directv HR20-700 for my TVersity server. It's the best way to go. And yes because of the controversy have taken a test run of OneCare's firewall just to see how it works with my network. The SX Virtual Link wasn't able to connect to my print server. And yes I did configure the firewall for that virtual link. I also test drove McAfee which allows the virtual link to work but slows my computers down and creates havock with TVersity. I didn't try out OneCare with TVsersity because I couldn't get pass the virtual link problem.

Terry

Tuesday, May 6, 2008 12:54 AM
  • Hi, Terry.

Pretty much all routers use NAT and pretty much all routers block inbound services to any PC unless you forward those ports manually. It would be the PC that makes an outbound request that allows a NAT device (the router) to direct the traffic back to the correct PC on the LAN. The point of a software firewall is to protect the PC from all inbound attack, including an attack from another PC on the LAN *and* to monitor outbound traffic, only allowing that which is recognized or explicitly allowed.

Of course, a software firewall can also cause unintended problems when a program or device needs to be allowed and the firewall can't be easily configured to do so, which appears to be the case for your SX Virtual Link.

So, the best I can suggest is to contact support for possible help in getting SX Virtual Link to work for you, since you can't disable the OneCare firewall without having to look at the red warning showing the PC to be at risk.

-steve

Wednesday, May 7, 2008 12:48 PM
  • Greetings, I must agree with Terry here.  After over 13 years in the IT arena, i understand that the perfect product does not exist.  However, OneCare comes close. While these warnings (balloons) are important for standard, home pc user, i do not believe that MS is discounting the professional market for OneCare. I cannot roll out OneCare to my large number of users without an admin pack that allows for the disabling of specific balloons.  C'mon people, a tool for the advanced user to disable balloons is a simple task - albeit incomplete on.  Once available, i will recommend purchasing a licensing agreement for my very large, uh, institution  Wink  Seriously. 

Footnote:  my personal grip is the phishing filter ballon 

Thanks for (hopefully) listening to user input.  Please fix this otherwise (almost) great product.  Best, EMM

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 10:22 PM
  • I agree with Terry as well. This is insane. My hardware (router) provides the level of protection I want for myself and the rest of my developers and we won't be forced to additionally enable a software firewall, and therefore will not utilize this product dev-wide.

The sad part isn't so much the bubble... it's that the icon remains red which means that the user who has firewall disabled always has a red OneCare icon and therefore learns to simply ignore it, so now OneCare essentially can't warn the user of anything. What a pity.

It's especially sad since what I like about OneCare is that it is much less "in your face" than other antivirus programs (like Norton and McAfee), but this just ruins it.

Thursday, August 21, 2008 11:18 PM
  • I agree that OneCare would not be the solution for you if you wish to turn off the firewall permanently, using a different firewall. Note that if that appliance based firewall is on the router or "edge" malicious software *within* your network can still be active. Also, if your router is advertised as having a firewall that is simply NAT, you don't really have a firewall, though you are protected from most external attacks. A software firewall also monitors outbound activity from the PC - blocking suspicious activity or known malicious programs.

-steve

Thursday, August 21, 2008 11:39 PM
  • Just enable the firewall and allow all protocols, ports, inbound and outbound. 
    Saturday, December 13, 2008 6:45 PM
  • for those of you having a problem with the onecare firewall and sx virtual link, try this

connecting the sx virtual link for live onecare v 2.5 (which i think now uses it's own firewall, the earlier v's seemed to be using the firewall that came with xp pro. anyway i had to re-configure the 'new' firewall settings in windows live onecare after my update).

the point is that the port settings posted on the silex website do not seem to be correct
    i changed the port settings for the 2 ports
       1. use tcp, port 19540, outbound[remote ports]; local network (hey i want this to be for me only)
       2. use udp, port 19540, inbound[loocal ports]; local network

i hope this helps... it seems to be working for me

btw: the connect program that came with my sx-1000u was kinda clunky, they have newer nicer version on their site
    http://www.silexamerica.com/component/content/article/19-support/116-sx-1000u

Monday, June 15, 2009 5:51 PM
  • Thanks for that information.
    OneCare has always had its own firewall, by the way.
    -steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Monday, June 15, 2009 6:28 PM