Service 'Windows Home Server Connector Service' fails during connector install. RRS feed

• Question

• Anyone seen this? On one of my home clients during the connector install I receive the following error which causes the install to fail.

Service 'Windows Home Server Connector Service' (WHSConnector) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficienty privileges to start system services.

Yes the account I'm using has admin rights.
    Sunday, February 18, 2007 8:41 PM

Answers

• I identified five services that WHS needs to be able to run correctly.  They are:
    Windows Management Instrumentation
    Security Accounts Manager
    Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
    Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator
    Event Log

If any one of these are disabled WHS shouldn't install even if you are logged in as administrator.  It would be nice if WHS was able to enable these services if disabled durring the install.

Tuesday, March 27, 2007 2:49 PM
  • Please report this as a bug.  :-)

Here's some information on bug reporting:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1234839&SiteID=50

Sunday, February 18, 2007 11:01 PM

All replies

• Please report this as a bug.  :-)

Here's some information on bug reporting:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1234839&SiteID=50

Sunday, February 18, 2007 11:01 PM
  • I've been struggling with this one on 1 computer out of 4 client installs so far.  All the other went ok but I can't get this particular PC to even install the connector.

I've remove / disable all the services that I had installed over and above the built-in ones but to no avail...

Looking forward to a follow-up.
    Sunday, March 25, 2007 9:42 PM
  • I ran into this on one of my machines as well.  It was another service that I had disabled that is required for WHSConnector.  Once I allowed that service to start  I'm currently at work and I don't remember which service it was that needed to be reenabled, but I'll check my notes when I get home tonight.

Jason
    Monday, March 26, 2007 1:36 PM
  • Oh man if you can figure out which service it was I would be SO in your debt... this one laptop just refuses to finish the install.
    Monday, March 26, 2007 2:00 PM
  • I identified five services that WHS needs to be able to run correctly.  They are:
    Windows Management Instrumentation
    Security Accounts Manager
    Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
    Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator
    Event Log

If any one of these are disabled WHS shouldn't install even if you are logged in as administrator.  It would be nice if WHS was able to enable these services if disabled durring the install.

Tuesday, March 27, 2007 2:49 PM
  • Ok I think this has something to do with the WMI service, it's not listed on my other half's laptop for some reason... I'm trying to find where to potentially download/install it but not having much luck...     
    Tuesday, March 27, 2007 8:03 PM
  • I found this on this site from Microsoft.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/resources/wmifaq.mspx#EXLAC

WMI is available in all recent versions of Windows. WMI is installed with Windows Me, Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows Server 2003.

For Windows 98 and Windows NT 4.0, WMI is available as an Internet download from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads. Search for the download “Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) CORE 1.5 (Windows 95/98/NT 4.0).”

Note that Windows NT 4.0 requires Service Pack 4 or later before you can install and run WMI.

This is what's listed as the description from my processes list:

"Provides a common interface and object model to access management information about the operating system, devices, applications and services. If this service is stopped, most Windows-based software will not function properly. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start." 

If you are running XP or Windows 2000 with Service pack 4 it should already be there, Which OS are you running?

Also where are you looking at the services?  If you are looking at them with MSCONFIG the Microsoft services can be hidden.  I would suggest looking at the services under the Computer management counsel, if your not already doing so. 

In case someone doesn’t know how to get there you can either type services.msc into the run box or right click on your “My Computer” Icon and select “Manage” on the left hand side under “Services and Applications” select “Services”

There is also a WMI Control option there, but I have not played around with that enough to safely change anything.

Tuesday, March 27, 2007 8:35 PM
  • JASON YOU DID IT!!!!!

WMI was corrupted and though the MS main site didn't give me the info I needed(didn't have XP install info) once I searched on repair WMI and found this site:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/repairwmi.htm

Ran the repair command and I'm good to go on this laptop!

This is the one machine of our 4 that just would not install on. Thank you SO much!
    Tuesday, March 27, 2007 9:18 PM
  • Darien

That's great!  Although I didn't do much, you were the one that found the repair option.  I'm glad to hear that you got it working.

Jason

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 12:38 AM
  • If you hadn't give me that list of services to check I wouldn't have known where to look to begin solving this... and as follow up her laptop was successfully backed up last night as well.

Thanks again.
    Wednesday, March 28, 2007 12:57 PM
  • hey guys, wondering if you had any other suggestions, all of those services are running and my WMI appears to be good. This is my first shot trying to install the connector on my dell, I am using the only user account on the windows xp media center laptop. Any ideas are appreciated.
    Wednesday, April 18, 2007 7:37 AM
  • The only other time that I have seen this error, I didn't have the one of the 2 systems connected to the network when I was trying to install the connector software, either the client or the WHS itself.  

Of course reconnecting the system to the network allowed me to install the connector software correctly.

Wednesday, April 18, 2007 5:40 PM
  • I found the culprit, I was running McAfee Corporate A/V 8.5 client and it has a feature that removes software installation rights, I had to uncheck that feature in the A/V client and I was then able to install without any problems.
    Monday, April 23, 2007 2:23 PM
  • Thanks Fellah - I just spent over 6 hours on this (in between beers) then; whammy - I hit your thread and fixed it in 6 minutes - many thanks for taking the trouble. Cheers Tom :-)
    Monday, September 20, 2010 1:56 PM