none
Raptor 10,000 RPM Drive RRS feed

• Question

• Would it make any difference if the first drive in the server was a 10,000 RPM drive?  Dosn't the main program install on the first drive and the back up data to the other drives. Would there be any advantage to using the Raptor or is there no gain in performance?

Saturday, November 10, 2007 2:07 AM

Answers

• I'm betting with the latencies of the network and al of the DriveExtender logic, you'll be really hard pressed to see the latency improvements of the 10K drive. And you'll pay for them with noise, life, and power consumption 24x7. For all of these reasons, I went to the opposite ends of the performance spectrum and used the Caviar GP drives. Besides the above, they are bigger and, per byte stored, cheaper.

I'll be curious to see if you get alternate answers...

Saturday, November 10, 2007 3:57 AM
  • Not only will you probably not see the performance improvement that you probably would expect due to network latency, you'll lose in other areas. Noise and power consumption will be increased, and your system drive will be very small for use with Windows Home Server. Microsoft recommends that you make your largest drive your system drive because of the many and varied uses to which it's put. A 150 GB system drive is much smaller than is really recommended, and that's the largest Raptor available.
    Sunday, November 11, 2007 4:09 AM

All replies

• I'm betting with the latencies of the network and al of the DriveExtender logic, you'll be really hard pressed to see the latency improvements of the 10K drive. And you'll pay for them with noise, life, and power consumption 24x7. For all of these reasons, I went to the opposite ends of the performance spectrum and used the Caviar GP drives. Besides the above, they are bigger and, per byte stored, cheaper.

I'll be curious to see if you get alternate answers...

Saturday, November 10, 2007 3:57 AM
  • Not only will you probably not see the performance improvement that you probably would expect due to network latency, you'll lose in other areas. Noise and power consumption will be increased, and your system drive will be very small for use with Windows Home Server. Microsoft recommends that you make your largest drive your system drive because of the many and varied uses to which it's put. A 150 GB system drive is much smaller than is really recommended, and that's the largest Raptor available.
    Sunday, November 11, 2007 4:09 AM
  • And me with a little ol 80gb Samsung sata drive for primary ..... HEH the rest are 10k 150's but what do I know anyway?

Tuesday, December 25, 2007 3:04 AM
  • i would think a 32mb cache 7200 rpm drive would work vary well.

Friday, December 28, 2007 6:10 PM