Learning windows server 2008 problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

My name is MLaden and I am from Bosnia. I am learning for Microsoft 70-640 exam and I have problem with my computer storage and performance. I am using windows xp sp3 in 32-bit machine with 80 GB HDD space and 2 GB of RAM memory but I need much more space and RAM memory to finish my practices. My question is: Is there any place on the web where I can training windows server networking online?

Thank you

Saturday, March 5, 2011 3:30 PM

Answers

• Yes, there is such a place. You can practice on the Technet Virtual Labs online:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/virtuallabs/default

• Marked as answer by Rubel Khan Wednesday, March 16, 2011 5:45 AM
    Saturday, March 5, 2011 6:56 PM
  • You can download the VHDs, and the biggest issue with running virtual machines is memory, you should have plenty of disk space, but you need to allocate at least 1gb of ram to each virtual machine, PLUS your host machine needs ram to run correctly, otherwise it will all run slow.

Are you able to obtain more ram?  Each 2008 guest OS will need at least 1gb of ram dedicated to it (2+ is ideal) plus what ever you need for your host machine.

MCP, MCTS, MCSA,MCSE
    Monday, March 7, 2011 1:09 PM

All replies

• Yes, there is such a place. You can practice on the Technet Virtual Labs online:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/virtuallabs/default

Saturday, March 5, 2011 6:56 PM
  • Thank you Alberto but it seems I do not have an option to make my own scenario here? I want to instal my virtual network with my servers from the 70-640 book examples.
    jomlla
    Sunday, March 6, 2011 8:26 PM
  • No, the Technet virtual labs implement some "fixed" scenarios. You can use them to experiment wit Windows Server 2008, but if you need to configure several servers with a vittual network, I am afraid that you will have to do it by means of virtual machines in your own computer. Your Windows XP with 2 GB of RAM should be able to handle three virtual machines... but the performance is going to be poor. Unfortunately, I am not aware of any online service that will let you experiment in the way you want.

Sunday, March 6, 2011 8:51 PM
  • You can download the VHDs, and the biggest issue with running virtual machines is memory, you should have plenty of disk space, but you need to allocate at least 1gb of ram to each virtual machine, PLUS your host machine needs ram to run correctly, otherwise it will all run slow.

Are you able to obtain more ram?  Each 2008 guest OS will need at least 1gb of ram dedicated to it (2+ is ideal) plus what ever you need for your host machine.

MCP, MCTS, MCSA,MCSE
    Monday, March 7, 2011 1:09 PM