How to set Potential Customer as Company name in Opportunity? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to understand how lead should be handled in Dynamics 2011.

1. I have created a Lead called "John Smith" working in "Test Corporation". (Account already exist in CRM, but contact not)
    2. I qualify by choosing Contact and Opportunity and press OK.

I see under Opportunity that Potential Customer of this Opportunity is John Test.
    I wish to have Company "Test Corporation" as my Potential Customer and person "John Smith" as its contact. I need solution for this as we prefare Company as potential customer as contact persion may change during long sales process.
    I see that "John Smith" is available under Contact, which is as it should be.
    3. Now I click Opportunity and change Potential customer to be "Test Corporation" under Account. Now Potential customer is acccount as it should be.

Is this really way to handle leads?
    Too many clicks and steps for executive level persion to bring leads in.

Any tips how to tune process?

Kenny_I

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 8:56 AM

Answers

• Kenny, your assumption is flawed.  Potential Customer can be an Account.

The issue is that there is an assumption when CRM converts Leads to Opportunities.

1. If you tell CRM to just create the Opportunity (only check the Opportunity box), you must look up an existing Account or Contact to attach that Opportunity to.

2. If you check Account OR Contact, CRM will make a new Account or Contact (even if you already have on in the system) and make that the Potential Customer.  You can then merge duplicates afterward to resolve dupes. (e.g. if you select an Account, CRM will make that Account the potential customer)

3. If you check Account AND Contact, CRM assumes the Contact will be the Potential Customer, and the Account will be the Parent Account of that Potential Customer.  You can then merge duplicates like in assumption 2.

So there is a potential flaw where if you want to create a new Contact from Lead conversion, but still attach to an existing Account, there will be some kind of manual step.  Either merging the duplicate Account afterward, and changing the potential customer to the Account after conversion, or manually creating the Contact afterward.

the other potential flaw out of the box is that if you want to show the Contact and its Parent Account on an Opportunity at the same time, this doesn't exist out of the box.  So a little customization of the Opportunity would be needed to make that happen.

The postings on this site are solely my own and do not represent or constitute Hitachi Solutions' positions, views, strategies or opinions.

• Marked as answer by Kenny_I Wednesday, November 14, 2012 7:15 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Kenny_I Wednesday, November 14, 2012 7:15 AM
    • Marked as answer by Kenny_I Thursday, November 15, 2012 11:00 AM
    Tuesday, November 13, 2012 3:38 PM

All replies

• Hi,

try choosing opportunity, contact and account when converting the lead. Then the potential customer will be the account instead of the contact and the contact will be the contact person for the account (it also maps to already existing accounts).

Greetings,

Pavlos

Please mark this reply as an answer and vote it as helpful if it helps you find a resolution to your problem.
    View my latest gallery contribution here.
    Visit my blog here.

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 9:06 AM
  • ->I choose Opportunity, Contact and Account in Qualify.

I get message "Duplicate Detected. This record might be duplicated of an existing record..."

-> Save record

Now I see "Test Corporation" twice.
    One is the original one. Second is new account with "John Smith" as Primary Contact.

Kenny_I

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 9:13 AM
  • Hi,

yes, sorry, you are right. Now I realized the problem. Well, a workaround for this could maybe be for you to develop a plugin and register it to the "QualifyLead" message. During the qualification process you would only select opportunity, so that you can map the potential customer to an existing account. In the plugin, you would check if the account already has a contact person. If not, then you would create a new contact from the lead information and set it as a contact person in the existing account. I haven't tried it myself but it's an idea.

Greetings,

Pavlos

Please mark this reply as an answer and vote it as helpful if it helps you find a resolution to your problem.
    Visit my blog here.

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 9:21 AM
  • Did I understand correctly that Dynamics 2011 is built such way that Opportunity is for person, not for company, and changing process requires customization?

How do I get started with plugin? Any code examples?

Kenny_I

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 9:28 AM
  • Hi,

during the qualification process if you only select "Opportunity" then you can set the potential customer in the lookup. If you select "Contact" and "Opportunity" then the opportunity is related to the contact instead of the account. If you select them all, then a new account is created with the contact as contact person and the opportunity is related to the account.

You can get started with plugins here and here.

Maybe there are also other workarounds for this that someone could suggest.

Greetings,

Pavlos

Visit my blog here.

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 9:37 AM
  • hi kenny,

the flow will be like this.

1. If you qualify the lead by checking "Account", "Contact" and "Opportunity", the potential customer of "Opportunity" will be the newly created account and Account and Contact are related.

2. If you qualify the lead by checking "Account" and "Opportunity", the potential customer of "Opportunity" will be the newly created account.

3. If you qualify the lead by checking  "Contact" and "Opportunity", the potential customer of "Opportunity" will be the newly created Contact.

-----------------------------------------------------

Mark as a answer, if this reply helps you.

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 11:00 AM
  • I wonder what is logic here that Dynamics supports that potential customer of "Opportunity" will be the newly created account when account does not exist yet. And that potential customer of "Opportunity" will be the newly created person when account already exist.

Does anybody of you use Opportunity such way that Potential Customer is always person?

Or is it so that designer of Dynamics 2011 have thought that potential customer should be persion always?

Kenny_I

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 12:05 PM
  • hi,

Or even you can choose an existing contact or account.

MS CRM 2011 is just designed like that .

-----------------------------------------------------

Mark as a answer, if this reply helps you.

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 12:30 PM
  • Let start from beginning to see if I understand correctly how lead should be qualified. I'm assuming now that Potential Customer should be person.

1. I created John Smith Test Organization lead. (company already exist in CRM)

2. I qualifed the lead by checking  "Contact" and "Opportunity", the potential customer of "Opportunity" will be the newly created Contact.

I see John Smith as Potential Customer. I accept this. When I click John Smith, I get to Contact page. Here I see names and job titles, but Parent Customer field is empty! It does not make sense that I need manually define again Parent Customer for Contact since I already defined in Lead page. I can see that not editable Company Name field is correct in originating Lead page.

I still cannot make Dynamics working as it should. Any tips? 

Kenny_I

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 12:45 PM
  • Kenny, your assumption is flawed.  Potential Customer can be an Account.

The issue is that there is an assumption when CRM converts Leads to Opportunities.

1. If you tell CRM to just create the Opportunity (only check the Opportunity box), you must look up an existing Account or Contact to attach that Opportunity to.

2. If you check Account OR Contact, CRM will make a new Account or Contact (even if you already have on in the system) and make that the Potential Customer.  You can then merge duplicates afterward to resolve dupes. (e.g. if you select an Account, CRM will make that Account the potential customer)

3. If you check Account AND Contact, CRM assumes the Contact will be the Potential Customer, and the Account will be the Parent Account of that Potential Customer.  You can then merge duplicates like in assumption 2.

So there is a potential flaw where if you want to create a new Contact from Lead conversion, but still attach to an existing Account, there will be some kind of manual step.  Either merging the duplicate Account afterward, and changing the potential customer to the Account after conversion, or manually creating the Contact afterward.

the other potential flaw out of the box is that if you want to show the Contact and its Parent Account on an Opportunity at the same time, this doesn't exist out of the box.  So a little customization of the Opportunity would be needed to make that happen.

The postings on this site are solely my own and do not represent or constitute Hitachi Solutions' positions, views, strategies or opinions.

• Marked as answer by Kenny_I Wednesday, November 14, 2012 7:15 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Kenny_I Wednesday, November 14, 2012 7:15 AM
    • Marked as answer by Kenny_I Thursday, November 15, 2012 11:00 AM
    Tuesday, November 13, 2012 3:38 PM